WSU opens season with 13th place finish

Weather conditions ended tournament one day early for Cougars

Then-sophomore+Daniel+Kolar+holds+his+follow+through+as+he+watches+his+ball+soar+down+the+fairway.+

COURTESY OF WSU ATHLETIC COMMUNICATIONS

Then-sophomore Daniel Kolar holds his follow through as he watches his ball soar down the fairway.

ALLEN LEISTER, Evergreen reporter

The WSU men’s golf team played at the Husky Invitational in Bremerton, Washington, which concluded with WSU near last place despite a good performance from senior Daniel Kolar.

Severe weather conditions in the final round of the Husky Invitational canceled Tuesday’s remaining tournament play, making day one results final.

The WSU men’s golf team took to the course Monday morning at the Gold Mountain Golf Club to play two 18-hole rounds on day one of the Husky Invitational. The day ended with WSU looking up at the competition as it stood in 13th place out of 15 qualifying teams with a score of 597 (+21).

As for individual performances from WSU, Kolar put together two good rounds and ended the event tied for fifth place with a score of 139 (-5). Freshman Clayton Thatcher ended the day tied for 54th place with a score of 150 (+6).

Freshman Tianyu Wu ended day one tied for 67th place with a score of 154 (+10).  Freshman Christian Yanagi and senior Scott Redelsperger finished the event in 74th and 75th, respectively, with scores of 156 (+12) and 157 (+13).

WSU tees off next on Oct. 7 in Bridgeport, West Virginia, for The Health Plan Mountaineer Invitational at the Pete Dye Golf Club.