The Daily Evergreen

Fire destroys apartment, no one injured

From staff reports

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






{{tncms-asset app=”editorial” id=”f445448a-f8bb-11e6-b25e-b36d480b2695″}}

A fire severely damaged a Cougar Ridge apartment on Tuesday night after the resident, a WSU student, left his stove on while taking a shower.

The man returned to his kitchen, where he had been frying donuts, to find it on fire, Glenn Johnson, Pullman Fire Department public information officer said. The man hurt his hand while trying to get his fire extinguisher, but no one was injured in the fire.

{{tncms-asset app=”editorial” id=”6eaca054-f8b9-11e6-b6c9-1fe86519955b”}}

In total, 25 firefighters responded from the Pullman Fire Department and Whitman County Fire District 12. All responded just after 7 p.m., extinguished most of the flames within a few minutes and had the situation under control by 7:30 p.m.

Johnson said this was a second-alarm fire, meaning the Pullman department brought in assistance from another department because they could see flames from the fire station.

Officials are unsure whether the fire damaged surrounding apartments, as the fire may have spread through the attic.

Pullman Police officer Doug Anderson and Sgt. Dan Dornes, the first responders, rescued two dogs from adjacent apartments. Firefighters later rescued a cat as well.

WSU officials found housing for the two residents, since both were students.

Reporting by Dan Doucet

Editor’s note: This article has been updated.

Hang on for a minute...we're trying to find some more stories you might like.


Email This Story






No P.R. No B.S. No Retreat. Watchdogs since 1895
Fire destroys apartment, no one injured