WSU Volleyball returns to Bohler Gym

Cougars will take on Oregon and Oregon State this weekend

Freshman+outside+hitter+Alexcis+Lusby+blocks+the+ball+from+Husky+sophomore+outside+hitter+Shannon+Crenshaw+during+the+game+on+Sept.+25+at+Bohler+gym.+

HSING-HAN CHEN

Freshman outside hitter Alexcis Lusby blocks the ball from Husky sophomore outside hitter Shannon Crenshaw during the game on Sept. 25 at Bohler gym.

DAMIEN ALVARADO, Evergreen reporter

The No. 24 Cougars (13-3, 2-2) will look to defend their home court as they return to Bohler gym this weekend.

They will play the University of Oregon (5-8, 1-3) at 6 p.m. on Friday and finish off their weekend against Oregon State University (8-7, 2-2) at noon on Sunday.

Friday’s matchup features a Ducks team that is on a two-game losing streak. Head coach Jen Greeny said in Tuesday’s press conference that her team must not take this game lightly.

Four of Oregon’s losses have come from top 10 ranked teams and the other was from No. 19 Cal.

“It’s the Pac-12 it has been a little crazy so far, people beating up on each other, but Oregon is a fantastic team and they have had a couple injuries and have had a tough preseason schedule,” Greeny said.

Her players must be ready to adjust and play a tough match against a highly athletic Ducks team, Greeny said.

Last weekend the Cougars went to five sets with the USC Trojans. The Cougars eventually won the match after coming back in the fifth set after the Trojans gained momentum with third and fourth set wins.

“In that moment we all just had to trust ourselves more than anything, and we looked at each other for confidence, to know that we have it and we can comeback,” junior outside hitter Penny Tusa said.

Though the Cougars have a winning record Greeny wants to make sure that her team takes each weekend as a learning matter and understand what they need to get better, Greeny said.

Sunday’s matchup will be against Oregon State, who is currently 2-2 in Pac-12 play. Its only losses in Pac-12 play were to top 25 ranked teams.

The last time these teams faced off, WSU came out on top 3-0. This season the Beavers were successful at home. They beat Oregon and University of Colorado in their first two matches of the season.

However, they have lost the last two matches to No. 16 California and No. 2 Stanford. The Beavers play No. 11 Washington before making the trip to the Palouse to take on the Cougars.