Athlete of the Week: Magda Jehlárová

Freshman from Czech Republic helps Cougars to their first home sweep against Oregon schools in 17 years

Freshman+middle+blocker+Magda+Jehl%C3%A1rov%C3%A1+hits+the+ball+past+an+Oregon+player+on+Friday+night+at+Bohler+Gym.+

CAROLYNN CLAREY | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

Freshman middle blocker Magda Jehlárová hits the ball past an Oregon player on Friday night at Bohler Gym.

SAM GRANT, Evergreen reporter

Freshman middle blocker Magda Jehlárová helped lead WSU volleyball’s sweep of Oregon State University and the University of Oregon this weekend in Pullman.

Jehlárová has been a major asset to the Cougars (15-3, 4-2) since joining the team this year with 127 kills and a .301 attack percentage. She leads the Pac-12 with 18 solo blocks and 99 total blocks.

Jehlárová earned Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Week with her performance as she recorded 14 total blocks and 17 kills in the historic weekend for WSU.

The Cougars defeated the Ducks inside of Bohler Gym for the first time since 2005 and swept the Oregon schools at home for the first time since 2002.

Jehlárová recorded a hitting percentage of .400 on the weekend, with seven kills against Oregon followed by 10 kills against Oregon State.

WSU is fourth in the Pac-12 above in-state rival Washington.  California sits in first place, Stanford is in second place and Utah is third.

In a postgame interview with WSU, head coach Jen Greeny said she was pleased with the way that her team played against both Oregon schools at home.

“I was really proud of the resiliency of our team,” Greeny said in the postgame interview. “I thought overall we played pretty well, but just great to get a win.”

Jehlárová is a human development major from Prerov, Czech Republic.

The Cougars return to action against Arizona at 7 p.m. on Friday in Bohler Gym.

HSING-HAN CHEN
Freshman middle blocker Magda Jehlárová celebrates with her teammates during the game against UW on Sept. 25 in Bohler Gym.