Soccer team heads to Eugene to face Ducks

No. 2 Stanford beat Oregon 5-0, WSU seeks return to Top 25

Junior+forward+Makamae+Gomera-Stevens+shields+the+ball+from+Arizona+on+Oct.+10+at+the+Lower+Soccer+Field.+

HSING-HAN CHEN | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

Junior forward Makamae Gomera-Stevens shields the ball from Arizona on Oct. 10 at the Lower Soccer Field.

JACLYN SEIFERT, Evergreen reporter

WSU soccer practiced on turf this week to prepare for their next match against the University of Oregon at 7 p.m. Saturday in Eugene, Oregon.

“We got to get the surface right as we go to their place this weekend. I am happy about [the team’s] play, minus the results of the finishing products, but that is the game of soccer,” head coach Todd Shulenberger said.

Oregon Ducks (4-4-5, 0-3-2) will wear pink when they host the WSU Cougars (9-3-1, 2-2-1) in their annual cancer awareness night.

“Another game, another challenge, another day to do what we love,” said graduate student midfielder Averie Collins.

The Cougars dropped out of the Top-25 NCAA rankings this week after their first draw of the year in a 0-0 tie against Arizona State on Sunday.

Despite outshooting the Sun Devils with 27 shots to four shots, WSU could not get a goal in the back of the net against Arizona State.

Graduate student goalkeeper Ella Dederick became the all-time leader in minutes played per game for WSU only 23 minutes into the match against the Sun Devils. She also recently became the all-time leader in wins with 46 in her career and moved to third in all-time saves with 269 for WSU.

Collins said she is passionate about keeping her team positive, keeping their beliefs up, and making sure her teammates know they are good enough to compete in the Pac-12.

“Right now, we are struggling in front of goal a little bit, but we got to know that if we keep doing the right things, it’s going to come,” Collins said. “Pressure is a privilege, so just stepping into that role and knowing I can be someone that can just help motivate the team.”

For the first time since 2014, the Cougars had two back-to-back home shutouts over a weekend.

Oregon most recently took a 5-0 loss against No. 2 Stanford on Sunday. WSU has a 4-1-0 record away this season, also taking a 5-0 loss to Stanford just two weeks ago.

Shulenberger said he is looking forward to his team’s next match and is just excited to bounce back.

The Cougars will be without starting sophomore defender Mykiaa Minniss in their game against the Ducks. Minniss received a red card after a tackle and argument with ASU sophomore forward Nicole Douglas who received a yellow card.

Junior forward Elyse Bennett said, “I just feel like our team has to get back on track and we know that, so we are just going to be more hungry to get that goal.”

The Cougars will begin play against the Ducks at 7 p.m. Saturday in Eugene, Oregon.