‘Air Gordo’ is back in Martin Stadium

Teammates say their bond will help the team get their first Pac-12 win against the Buffs

ABIGAIL LINNENKOHL

Redshirt senior quarterback Anthony Gordon throws the ball against UCLA on Sep. 22 at Martin Stadium.

KURIA POUNDS, Evergreen reporter

The leader in passing yards, passing attempts and passing completions is a transfer student, goes to WSU, and has a student-given nickname. And it’s not Gardner Minshew.

From redshirting his sophomore season to leading the nation in passing yards, redshirt senior quarterback Anthony Gordon is setting records.

The success and fame have not gotten to ‘Air Gordo,’ Gordon’s nickname. He said he always strives for more success and wants to lead Cougar football with determination and accountability, which are the team’s two mottos for success.

“I’m just working toward improving every week,” Gordon said.

Starting 3-0, Gordon and the Cougars went on a hot streak, breaking records, having great passing games, outscoring their opponents by 100 combined points in their first three games. They seemed like an unstoppable force.

As of this week, the Cougars sit 3-3, dropping their last 3 games to teams in the Pac-12 South division, UCLA, Utah and Arizona State. Gordon still believes in this team and said that it is all about picking each other up, both offense and defense, when they lose close games, Gordon said.

“Seeing all the unhappy faces in the locker room is a little fuel to the fire,” Gordon said.

Now the team wants to use their close relationships to get their winning momentum back.

Sophomore running back Max Borghi said his relationship with Gordon has always been good, and on the rise. Borghi said now that Gordon’s “the guy,”  it makes his relationship with Gordon even closer.

“He’s actually my roommate, so I’m really close with [Gordon],” Borghi said. “I was rooting for him all the way.”

Gordon has now been added to the 2019 Maxwell Award watch list as of Oct. 10. The award is given each year to the College Player of the Year. Some of the previous winners are Marcus Mariota, Baker Mayfield, Lamar Jackson and Derrick Henry.

Along with his addition to the watch list, Gordon has been recognized as the Pac-12 offensive player of the week multiple times, after his performance against the University of Houston Cougars and the New Mexico State University Aggies.

Brandon Arconado, graduate student wide receiver, said it was rough waiting with Gordon for the guys above them to graduate, but that has made their relationship even stronger because of how much they learned together.

“We both came in at the same time and we’re both junior college kids,” Arconado said. “We came in, kind of at the bottom of the totem pole.”

Borghi said he and Gordon’s connection on the field is natural because of the chemistry they have. It helps Gordon feel comfortable on the field.

“It’s even more fun to play football with my best friend out there,” Borghi said. “He’s right next to me.”

Arconado said he and Gordon share interests outside of football, which helps them in the game and their connection.

“We’ve had four years to really come together to create that bond,” Arconado said. “It’s showing now on the field, so it’s pretty cool.”

Gordon wants to be the best, he does not care about the stats when it comes to whether the Cougars win or lose, he always thinks of the team first.

“Going out [to dinner] on Monday is a good way to get some food and have some fun with the guys,” Gordon said.