Tennis travels to Stanford for tournament

Cougars look for strong playing from the entire team this weekend

JACQUI THOMASSON | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

Senior Melisa Ates returns the ball on April 12 at Hollingbery Fieldhouse.

DAMIEN ALVARADO, Evergreen reporter

The Cougars put behind a successful weekend and will head to Northern California this weekend. The team will be participating in the Northwest ITA Regionals on Friday at the Taube Family Tennis Center, in Stanford, California.

The ITA Regionals finalists — regional doubles and singles champions — qualify for the season-ending Oracle ITA National Fall Championships.

Stanford University will host the tournament. The Cougars will compete against players from most Division I schools in northern California, Oregon, and Washington.

Some of the following teams include: University of California, University of Washington, Stanford University, Gonzaga University, University of Oregon, Pacific University, University of Portland, Eastern Washington University, California State University, Fresno, and California State Polytechnic University, Pomona.

Sophomore Hikaru Sato and freshman Pang Jittakoat captured the A Flight Doubles title at the 2019 Beach Tennis Fall Tournament last Sunday. Freshman Maddie Egan won the C Flight consolation title match and although sophomore Yang Lee lost In the B Flight final, she was proud of her team’s overall performance.

“I feel the team did really good. I am proud of everyone because they worked really hard and tried their best,” Lee said.

Senior Melisa Ates and juniors Jovana Knezevic and Michaela Bayerlova are a few athletes attending the event but head coach Lisa Hart commented on some of her younger classmen’s recent performances and who WSU should keep an eye on.

“I think all of them. They are all able to play at such a high level. Savanna Ly-Nguyen and Hikaru Sato, had great weekends but those two are ones to keep an eye on for sure,” Hart said.

The Cougars will be matched against hundreds of athletes this upcoming weekend so Lee made it known that her team’s energy must be there for the team to be successful.

“The team has to work hard and never give up. We have to think positive and if we don’t have enough energy it will affect how we play on the court,” Lee said.