Bennett takes flight in Eugene

Soccer wins first game since September on Saturday against Ducks

Graduate+student+midfielder+Averie+Collins+dribbles+past+Arizona+defense+on+Oct.+10+at+the+lower+soccer+fields.+

HSING-HAN CHEN | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

Graduate student midfielder Averie Collins dribbles past Arizona defense on Oct. 10 at the lower soccer fields.

JACLYN SEIFERT, Evergreen reporter

WSU soccer only needed one goal to bring back a 1-0 win against the University of Oregon at 7 p.m. on Saturday night at Pape Field in Eugene, Oregon.

The Cougars (10-3-1, 3-2-1) looked for a win against the Oregon Ducks (4-5-5, 0-4-2) on the road after a tie and a loss in their last two games this season.

“Another high-level Pac-12 soccer game in which the Cougs prevailed tonight. I am proud of the effort as any road win you get in this conference is big,” head coach Todd Shulenberger said in an interview after the game.

In the 67th minute, it was junior forward Elyse Bennett who jumped above Oregon defense to head the ball in the back of the net.

After the ball crossed the goal line, an Oregon defender quickly tried to kick the ball out of the goal to one of her players, but the referee blew the whistle to put WSU on the board 1-0.

Bennett’s goal put her at a tie with four goals scored with graduate student midfielder Averie Collins in second. Senior forward Morgan Weaver leads the Cougars in first place with five goals.

This happened after a well placed and professional cross to the back post from WSU leader in assists junior defender Brianna Alger. She leads her team with seven assists.

WSU outshot the Ducks 19-5. The Oregon goalkeeper had notable back-to-back saves in the last 10 minutes of the first half. Washington State dominated in shots on goal against the Ducks but could not get one on goal.

“I am proud of the way we’ve been playing the last couple of weeks. We just haven’t scored some goals,” Shulenberger said in an interview after the game.

In the last three matches, the Cougars have outshot their opponents 60-18.

In the 74th minute, senior forward Katie Jones received a yellow card while Oregon was fighting for a goal to tie the game.

Graduate student Ella Dederick received her sixth shutout of the year and has one shared shutout. This was her 26th career shutout, the second most in WSU history.

“Tonight we got one in so hopefully that will open the door for more to come. I’ll take this win and move on to our tough opponents down in Southern California next week,” Shulenberger said in an interview after the game.

The Cougars will face the No. 4 USC Trojans at 3 p.m. on Thursday in Los Angeles.

This article has been updated to clarify Dederick’s shutouts. She has six shutouts and one shared shutout during this season.