Athlete of the Week: Max Borghi

WSU sophomore RB key player in team’s first conference win

Sophomore+running+back+Max+Borghi+runs+the+ball+past+Colorado+defenders+on+Saturday+at+Martin+Stadium.+

HSING-HAN CHEN | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

Sophomore running back Max Borghi runs the ball past Colorado defenders on Saturday at Martin Stadium.

SAM GRANT, Evergreen reporter

The Daily Evergreen Athlete of the Week is WSU football’s sophomore running back Max Borghi for his performance against the University of Colorado Buffaloes, helping the team win 41-10.

Borghi did not disappoint as he rushed for 105 yards and a touchdown, averaging over eight yards per carry. He went to the air as well, with a 57-yard and a touchdown in nine receptions.

“I love running the ball so when I get the opportunity, it’s always something to take advantage of,” Borghi said in a postgame press conference.

In his second year with the Cougars, Borghi has taken over the running back position for this offense after former WSU running back James Williams left for the NFL draft following last season.

Through seven games, Borghi has brought in over 500 yards on the ground, with a chance for a 1,000-yard season. His performance against Colorado is his third time reaching over 100 yards rushing in a game this season. The other two were against New Mexico State and UCLA.

Borghi now has nine total touchdowns, with six from rushing and three from the air, something that would be expected from the Air Raid offense.

In a postgame press conference, redshirt senior quarterback Anthony Gordon said he thought Borghi played great and the more Borghi gets the ball the better the offense does.

Borghi’s play helped the Cougars advance to a 4-3 record on the year. They will be riding the momentum as they travel to their next opponent the Ducks.

The Cougars can be caught next at 7:30 p.m. on Saturday against Oregon at Autzen Stadium in Eugene, Oregon. The game can be viewed on ESPN.