WSU goal not enough

Cougars have aggressive game against UCLA but can’t come away with win

SERENA HOFDAHL | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

Freshman defender Rose Young dribbles the ball against Montana on Aug. 30 at the Lower Soccer Field.

JACLYN SEIFERT, Evergreen reporter

No. 19 WSU soccer fell to No. 18 University of California, Los Angeles, in a 2-1 loss Sunday afternoon at Wallis Annenberg Stadium in Los Angeles, California.

Although WSU had an early lead in the match, UCLA later scored two goals in the second half to defeat the Cougars 2-1.

The Top-25 matchup was aggressive as both teams looked to take home a win for their programs. UCLA (11-4-1, 5-3-0) most recently beat the Huskies in a 1-0 win on Thursday. The Cougars (10-5-1, 3-4-1) came off a 3-0 loss against the University of Southern California on the same day.

The game looked promising for Washington State in the first half against the Bruins as they saw many opportunities on goal. Senior forward Morgan Weaver almost had a goal after a breakaway through the UCLA defense in the first 13 seconds of the game.

WSU brought 11 fouls against the Bruins during the match. Both graduate student midfielder Averie Collins and sophomore defender Mykiaa Minniss received yellow cards in the second half. Minniss received a red card earlier this season on Oct. 13 against Arizona State in Pullman.

It was 5-foot-10-inch freshman forward MacKenzie Frimpong-Ellertson who scored an important goal for Washington State to put the Cougars on the board in the 33rd minute.

After a well-placed cross from sophomore forward Molly Myers, Frimpong-Ellertson found the ball at her left foot on a one-touch finish for her third goal of the year and first in Pac-12 play.

UCLA took 19 shots and 10 corner kicks against Washington State. The Cougars took nine shots and only two corner kicks against the Bruins.

UCLA began the second half eager to get a goal against WSU. UCLA junior forward Ashley Sanchez scored for her team on an open one-touch finish tying the game 1-1. The goal was assisted by UCLA sophomore midfielder Maricarmen Reyes outran the WSU defense on a quick breakaway, finding Sanchez. It was Sanchez’s sixth goal of the season.

In the 77th minute, graduate student goalkeeper Ella Dederick stopped Sanchez with a memorable save to keep the score 1-1.

Only 10 minutes later, UCLA took the lead after redshirt senior forward Anika Rodriguez sent a well-placed through ball to UCLA freshman forward Mia Fishel to take the lead 2-1.

Washington State will play in their last two home games of the season against the University of Utah at 7 p.m. on Thursday on the lower soccer field. They will also play the University of Colorado at 12 p.m. on Sunday afternoon.

The Utah game can be viewed on the Pac-12 Networks. The Colorado game can be viewed on the WSU live stream.