Cougars beats Trojans

WSU wins match against USC

BENJAMIN MICHAELIS | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

Redshirt freshman setter Hannah Pukis sets the ball during the game against Arizona on Oct. 18 at Bohler Gym.

CALLAHAN HUDSON, Evergreen reporter

Energy was high on Sunday afternoon in Bohler Gym as the WSU volleyball team took on No. 24 University of Southern California. The Cougars won 3-1.

Redshirt freshman setter Hannah Pukis played a big role. She led her team with 45 assists.

USC (13-9, 7-5) led in the majority of the first set until WSU (19-5,8-4) turned things around once they tied at 18-18, and led the rest of the match. Freshman middle blocker Magda Jehlárová made the final kill. This gave the first set win to the Cougars 25-21.

The second set stayed close. Freshman outside hitter Pia Timmer, Jehlárová and Pukis made impressive plays until the end of the set when USC took the victory with a score of 25-22.

USC led the third set until halfway through the Cougars tied the score at 13-13. The team picked up its consistency with kills and blocks. This led them to another win in the third set thanks to Jehlárová once again as she scored the final point.

Tensions rose in Bohler as the fourth set started. The score was close the entire game. The crowd was on edge. The score got up to 25-25 until USC had a service error.

Junior outside hitter Penny Tusa scored the final kill for her team. They huddled up and celebrated their 27-25 fourth set win.

WSU led the hitting percentage with .242 and USC finished with .205.

The Cougars will face the Oregon State Beavers at 6 p.m. on Thursday at Oregon State University.