Soccer travels to Seattle for Apple Cup

Cougars look to extend their winning streak against Huskies

TIMOTHY FAIRBANKS-CLOUSER | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

Graduate Student midfielder Averie Collins controls the ball against Colorado on Nov. 3 at the Lower Soccer Field.

JACLYN SEIFERT, Evergreen reporter

No. 20 WSU soccer will travel to the opposite side of the state for the annual battle against No. 22 University of Washington Huskies in the 29th Boeing Apple Cup Series at 7 p.m. on Friday.

“It is just business trip for us, just another team that is in our way,” head coach Todd Shulenberger said.

The Cougars (12-5-1, 5-4-1) will close their 2019 regular season against UW (10-6-2, 6-4-0) before Monday’s NCAA Tournament selection as both teams will be looking for a spot.

“I don’t think we are just confident because we are scoring goals and getting results, but we have been playing good soccer here,” Shulenberger said, “so we are pretty excited going into Friday.”

The Cougars have not taken a loss to the Huskies since 2003. Since then, Washington State has had 10 wins and five ties. All of the matches have been between one or two goals.

Senior forward Morgan Weaver scored three goals against the Huskies in the teams’ last meeting. She has most recently scored six goals in her last two appearances. Weaver has scored 11 goals and four assists this season.

“I feel like that is kind of my senior night because I will have a bunch of family that will be able to go and see me play for the last time in Pac-12 so I am very excited,” Weaver said.

Last year, there were four yellow cards and one red card distributed during the match. Two Washington players received cautions. Two WSU players received cautions. Then-sophomore forward Makamae Gomera-Stevens was ejected from the match in the 72nd minute.

UW sophomore forward Summer Yates scored seven goals and has six assists for her team this season. She most recently became the first Husky since Jaclyn Softli in 2014 to record 20 points in a single season.

Washington State and UW both most recently played Colorado and Utah where the Cougars won 4-1 and UW lost 1-0 against both of the teams.

Graduate student midfielder Averie Collins, a recent transfer from Stanford, said she is excited for her first UW and Washington State rivalry game.

“Coming into this game, I am very confident in us. I think we are going to come out and play as hard as we can just like we did against Utah and Colorado,” Collins said. “Obviously a ton of emotion.”

Collins said her team has had some explosive games lately and has been recently finding the back of the net.

“I think we are excited. We have started to really hit our stride and peak at the right time,” Collins said.

Washington State has scored 36 goals this season while Washington has scored 24. Teams scored 21 goals against the Cougars, while teams scored 18 goals against the Huskies.

The game against the Huskies will begin at 7 p.m. on Friday at Husky Soccer Stadium in Seattle.

“It is crazy. Time flies. I can’t believe it is our last regular-season game but with that said, we are fighting to keep playing so every game is now life or death,” Collins said. “From here on out, nothing is guaranteed so we are just playing with a chip on our shoulder trying to find the win.”