Golden Bears shine against Cougars

Winston, Arconado each had over 100 receiving yards during game

HSING-HAN CHEN | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

Sophomore running back Max Borghi celebrates after a touchdown on Sept. 7 at Martin Stadium. WSU won 59-17.

Kuria Pounds, Evergreen reporter

The California Golden Bears defeated WSU 33-20 on Saturday in Berkeley, California, after the Cougars returned to action after their second bye week of the season.

WSU special teams blocked a field goal and extra point, but the lack of offensive production for WSU after led to another road loss for the Cougars (4-5, 1-5).

The Golden Bears (5-4, 2-4) finished with five offensive touchdowns in the game, which is as many offensive touchdowns in the last four games for California.

Redshirt senior quarterback Anthony Gordon finished completing 45 of 58 passes, with 407 passing yards, two touchdowns and one interception.

Both Easop Winston Jr., redshirt senior wide receiver, and graduate wide receiver Brandon Arconado finished with over 100 receiving yards, but the Cougars had 16 total rushing yards on offense.

After an early interception by Cal redshirt senior safety Jaylinn Hawkins, sophomore running back Christopher Brown Jr. ran it in for a 27-yard touchdown to give the Bears a 6-0 lead.

Junior cornerback George Hicks III recovered a blocked extra point and ran the ball back for a safety to give the Cougars their first points of the game.

After a forced fumble by Daniel Isom, redshirt junior defensive back, and recovery by redshirt junior safety Skyler Thomas, redshirt sophomore kicker Blake Mazza kicked a 30-yard field goal to shorten California’s lead to 6-5 in the first quarter.

To start the second quarter, Cal redshirt junior quarterback Devon Modster threw a 9-yard touchdown pass to Gavin Reinwald, redshirt sophomore tight end, to extend the Bears’ lead to 13-5.

With 45 seconds left in the first half, Gordon threw a 17-yard touchdown pass to Arconado to shorten the lead to 13-11 after failing on the two-point conversion.

After a fumble by Winston, Modster threw a 13-yard touchdown to Brown Jr. to extend the lead to 20-11 with 10:14 left in the third quarter.

The Cougars responded with a 35-yard field goal by Mazza to make the Bears’ lead now 20-14 in the third quarter.

In the fourth quarter, Modster threw a 52-yard touchdown to freshman wide receiver Makai Polk to extend the California lead to 26-14 after failing on the 2-point conversion.

The Golden Bears iced the game with a 13-yard rushing touchdown for Modster to give the Bears a 33-14 lead with 2:26 left in the game.

With five seconds left in the game, Gordon threw a one-yard touchdown to Renard Bell, redshirt junior wide receiver, to add six more points to the scoreboard.

The Cougars’ next game is against the Stanford Cardinal at 1:30 p.m. on Saturday at Martin Stadium.