Fraternity member died early Tuesday morning

Coroner to determine official cause of death according to Pullman PD

OLIVER MCKENNA | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

The Evergreen works to provide the best information about recent crime and court updates in the Pullman area.

JAYCE CARRAL, Evergreen reporter

The Pullman Police Department have launched an investigation into the death of an Alpha Tau Omega fraternity member.

Police Chief Gary Jenkins identified the member as 19-year old freshman Samuel Martinez, according to the latest press release.

According to the Pullman PD press release, officers and medics from the Pullman Fire Department responded to a call at the fraternity. The reporting party said the member was not breathing and appeared to be unconscious.

Other members performed CPR on the unconscious member until medics arrived at the fraternity, according to the Pullman PD.

Martinez was determined deceased by Pullman Fire medics, according to the press release. During the preliminary investigation, police said the death of the student may have been alcohol related.

The Whitman County Coroner is still determining the official cause of death, according to the press release.

According to press releases issued by WSU’s Interfraternity Council (IFC) and Panhellenic Council, all Greek social events are cancelled for the rest of the school semester.

IFC will not be making any other statements, according to the press release.

According to a press release issued by WSU, counseling resources are being provided to the student’s family, fraternity members and classmates.

WSU and the Alpha Tau Omega fraternity will be working with Pullman PD during the investigation, according to the press release.

The Pullman Police Department previously declined to comment until they had notified the next of kin. They could not be contacted again before the press deadline.

The current Alpha Tau Omega president and vice president have been contacted for comment.

Editor’s note: This story was updated at 11:16 p.m. Tuesday to include information from a new press release.