Sigma Iota dials it down for Brewfest 2019

Tickets found on WSU Dad’s Weekend event page for $45, will include tasting tickets

SYDNEY BROWN, Evergreen reporter

Hospitality students will host Brewfest 2019 for WSU Dad’s Weekend 5-7 p.m. on Friday at the Chinook Student Center, Room 150.

Tickets cost $45 on the Brewfest website and $55 at the door. The event will allow people 21-plus only. Proceeds will go to Golden Rule Charity, a hospitality charity meant to help students in the hotel and tourism industry. The ticket also pays for a commemorative tasting glass and 10 tasting tickets.

The event will include catering from Fork in the Road, which means a full menu of pretzel bites, chicken wings, grilled sausage, pulled pork sliders, poutine and chips and peppadew cheesecake. Eight breweries from around the Pacific Northwest — Paradise Creek, No-Li, Deschutes Brewery, Iron Horse, Rattlesnake Mountain, Big Sky Brewing, One Tree Cider, Balek Breaker — have donated beers for tastings that accompany the food.

Samantha Carone, Sigma Iota event director, said the menu pairs well with the beer and people can get more out of it when they can make connections between food that tastes good with beer.

The event will also include a silent auction until around 6:30 p.m., Carone said.

Carone said Sigma Iota, which is the overarching club of the hospitality school, recruited volunteers from the Professional Convention Management Association for setting up the event. PCMA Vice President Evelyn Cook said they wanted to go for a more rustic theme with the decorations this year.

“Dads aren’t super flashy all the time, so we’re trying to keep it lowkey and comfortable,” Cook said.

The event will mostly help students with real-world experience in a non-intimidating atmosphere, Cook said. In the future, she hopes to see more freshman students join hospitality clubs to join in on events like these.

“It’s taught me personally so much about event planning,” Carone said.

Although Carone said she has to work the event, her uncle will attend and be able to see her in what she does at school.

“My parents haven’t had a lot of opportunity to see the stuff I work on here at school, so for a family member to come here so I can showcase, like, ‘oh this is what i’m going to school for’ is really awesome,” Carone said.

Tickets purchased online will be available for pickup at the Chinook Student Center the day of the event.

[googlepdf url=”https://dailyevergreen.com/wp-content/uploads/2019/11/Brochure-5inx7in-Double-Sided.pdf” ]