Cougars finish the Buffaloes in five sets

ABIGAIL LINNENKOHL

Freshman middle blocker Magda Jehlarova jumps up to make a hit during the match-up against Utah on Friday afternoon in Bohler.

CALLAHAN HUDSON, Evergreen reporter

Cougar volleyball took victory after five sets against University of Colorado, Boulder on Sunday in Bohler Gym. They won 3-2.

Head coach Jen Greeny said the team was able to adjust through out the match to fight for the win.

“Every match is tough in the Pac-12,” Greeny said. “Colorado played a really great game… we were able to turn it around with our blocking and defense.”

WSU (21-6,10-5) and Colorado (11-14,3-12) played a tight game in in the first set. WSU took the win, 25-23. Freshman outside hitter Pia Timmer made six kills.

The Cougars and the Buffaloes played a tight set once again, both kept a quick tempo. However, the Cougars couldn’t keep up. The Buffaloes won 26-24. The final kill made by Colorado senior outside hitter Justine Spann.

Colorado picked up their game in the third set. They dominated WSU and won 25-13.

The Cougars brought their game back in the fourth set and tied at 9-9 towards the middle of the set. They turned the game around and won 25-15. The final kill made by freshman outside hitter Alexcis Lusby, which led them into a fifth set.

WSU kept the work up and took the fifth set.

Energy was high in Bohler Gym as freshman middle blocker Magda Jehlárová made the final kill, which gave them a win at 15-9.

“Overall, we really fought as best as we could. In the third set we had to focus more and fight more.” Pia Timmer said. “We were a little timid with passing, we just need to practice more.”

Pia scored 16 kills for her team against Colorado.

WSU led the hitting percentage with .240 Colorado and finished behind at .198.

The Cougars will travel to Arizona to play the Arizona State University Sun Devils at 6 p.m. Thursday in Tempe, Arizona.