Athlete of the Week: CJ Elleby

Seattle native scores career high in points, sophomore is Pac-12 Player of the Week again

Sophomore forward CJ Elleby goes up for a layup against Omaha on Nov. 21 at Beasley Coliseum.

CODY SCHOELER, Evergreen reporter

Sophomore forward CJ Elleby had the best game of his Cougar career Sunday against the University of Washington.

The Seattle native scored a career-high 34 points on a career-high six made 3-pointers. He was named the Pac-12 Player of the Week for his performance, earning that honor for the second time this season. That made him the first Cougar since Klay Thompson in 2009 to win multiple Pac-12 Player of the Week awards in a single season.

Elleby is averaging 19 points per game this season and has scored the second most total points in the conference. He has scored 455 points and trails only senior guard Payton Pritchard from Oregon with 467 points.

Elleby also grabbed 10 rebounds, all on the defensive end. It tied him with senior forward Jeff Pollard for most in the game and gave him his fourth double-double of the season. Elleby went to the free throw line 10 times, converting on all of his attempts. That was his second time scoring 10 points from the charity stripe and his seventh game this season without a missed free throw.

His impact on the defensive end was another reason the Cougars were able to beat the Huskies on Sunday. WSU finished the game with three blocks, all of them from Elleby. He had just one less block than the entire UW team, which had three players combine for four blocks.

Elleby took good care of the ball all game. He did not let Washington’s zone defense fluster him and only committed one turnover the entire game. He registered a steal as well, so he was able to cancel out his lone turnover.