Track and field competes in Seattle, Albuquerque

Tucker, Keefe, English, Well Jr. look to repeat their first place finishes

BENJAMIN MICHAELIS | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

Then-redshirt Senior Janet Okeago competes in the 4k race on August 30 2019 at the Colfax Golf Course for the WSU XC Open.

CODY SCHOELER and JAN RAC

The Cougars’ track and field squad is once again splitting up and competing in two different meets.

The women’s team will be led by seniors Jordyn Tucker and Kaili Keefe. Both finished first in their events last week and are looking to repeat. Keefe will compete in the women’s one mile run at the Husky Classic at 11:35 a.m. Friday at the Dempsey Indoor in Seattle.

Tucker will compete in the women’s 60m dash prelim at 11:50 a.m. on Friday at the Don Kirby Elite at the Albuquerque Convention Center in Albuquerque, New Mexico. She will run against two top seniors from the conference in that event: Brianna Duncan from Oregon and Josephine Anokye from Arizona State.

Freshman Skylar Walton finished third in the 60m dash last week and will be heading to the Husky Classic this weekend. She will run in the 60m and 200m dash prelims at 3 p.m. and 6:55 p.m. on Friday respectively.

Redshirt freshman Faimalie Sale will also be competing in Seattle this weekend after getting second in the weight throw last week. She will participate in the women’s weight throw at 2:30 p.m. on Friday. She will also compete in the women’s shot put at 10 a.m. on Saturday.

Freshman Leonie Reuter will compete in the women’s high jump at 1:30 p.m. on Thursday in New Mexico. She is fourth in the conference in the high jump but will not have to compete against fellow freshman Mathilde Rey from Oregon who is second in the conference in the event.

Rey will instead compete in the women’s long jump at 1 p.m. on Thursday. Junior Kreete Verlin is also competing in that event and has the second-best jump in the conference. She is in the same heat as Oregon senior Rhesa Foster, who is first in the conference.

The men’s team will be led by senior Emmanuel “RayRay” Wells Jr. and redshirt senior Ja’Maun Charles.

Wells will look to repeat his performance in the 60m dash, which he won last week. He is tied for fourth in the conference in that event and will have to compete against the two people tied for second: junior Gaston Bouchareau from Oregon and sophomore Kenroy Higgins from UCLA.

Wells will also run in the 200m dash prelims. He is fifth in the conference in that event but will have to run against junior Rieker Daniel from Oregon who is spot above him in fourth. The 200m dash prelims will take place at 11:40 a.m. on Friday and the 60m dash prelims will take place at 4:45 p.m. on Thursday.

Charles finished right behind Wells in the 60m dash last week, earning second place. He will also compete in the 60m and 200m dashes in New Mexico. Additionally, Charles is participating in the long jump at 2 p.m. on Thursday.

Seniors Sam Brixey and Nick Johnson will both compete in the 60m hurdle prelims at 11:15 a.m. on Friday. They are both at the top of the conference standings in that event. Brixey is first and Johnson is third.

The high jump squad will be split over the weekend. Junior Mitch Jacobson will go to New Mexico but the other high jumpers will compete in Seattle.

Jacobson is fifth in the conference in the high jump but will have to jump against senior Ben Milligan, who is fourth. Jacobson will jump at 2 p.m. on Thursday.

Senior Max English placed first in the high jump last week. Junior Beau Sheeran and freshman Daylon Hicks tied for third at the same meet. They are scheduled to jump at around 5 p.m. Friday in Seattle.

The Don Kirby Elite Invitational will take place Thursday and Friday. The meet will start at 1 p.m. Thursday with the women’s long jump. The running events will start with the men’s open 400m at 2:30 p.m.

Friday will start with the women’s shot put at 9:30 a.m. and the women’s 60m hurdle prelims at 10 a.m. The meet is scheduled to end at 2:55 p.m. with the women’s 4x400m relay.

The Husky Classic will take place on Friday and Saturday. The events will start with the women’s club mile at 2 p.m. and the women’s weight throw at 2:30 p.m. on Friday.

On Saturday, the field events will begin with the women’s long jump at 10 a.m. and the running events will start with the women’s 60-meter dash prelims at 11 a.m. The meet is scheduled to end at 3:30 p.m. with the men’s 4×400 meter relay.