Cougars finish Don Kirby Elite, Husky Classic

Taylor, Brixey get victories in Albuquerue; Sale breaks freshman record

JAN RAC, Evergreen reporter

The WSU men and women’s track and field teams competed in two locations this weekend: Albuquerque, New Mexico and Seattle.

At the Don Kirby Elite in Albuquerque, sophomore Charisma Taylor and senior Sam Brixey both got personal records, and victories in their events. Taylor jumped 44 feet 2 3/4 inches in the triple jump, and Brixey ran 7.72 seconds in the 60m hurdles.

In the high jump, freshman Leonie Reuter got second with a leap of 5 feet 10 inches. In the long jump, junior Kreete Verlin posted fourth place with a jump of 20 feet 1/2 an inch. She also got a personal record in the 60m with a time of 7.44 seconds.

Senior Emmanuel “RayRay” Wells Jr. took second place in the men’s 60m with a time of 6.53 seconds. In the men’s high jump, junior Mitch Jacobson received fourth place with a jump of 7 feet 1 inch.

At the Husky Classic in Seattle, freshmen Kaylee Sowle and Dylon Hicks gave WSU two top-five finishes.

Sowle placed fourth in the women’s high jump with a height of 5 feet 5 inches. Hicks tied for fourth place when he posted a 6 feet 7 inches height in the men’s high jump.

Redshirt freshmen Faimalie Sale broke the WSU freshman weight throw record with a throw of 59 feet 7 1/2 inches.

The Cougars will split up again on Friday to compete in the Matador Qualifier at the Sports Performance Center in Lubbock, Texas and the Last Chance College Elite in the Dempsey Indoor in Seattle.