Track and field travels for regular season end

Squad splits again, sends 19 athletes to Seattle; Charisma Taylor ranks fifth in nation for triple jump

BENJAMIN MICHAELIS | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

Then-sophomore weights thrower Lovely Tukuafu prepares to throw at the WSU Open Indoor Open on Jan. 18, 2019.

JAN RAC, Evergreen reporter

The WSU track and field team will compete in their last regular season action on Friday. The Cougars will split up again to compete in the Matador Qualifier at the Sports Performance Center in Lubbock, Texas and the Last Chance College Elite at Dempsey Indoor in Seattle.

These will be the final meets for the Cougars before the Mountain Pacific Sports Federation Indoor Championships in Seattle next week. The MPSF is the conference that WSU competes in for indoor track and field.

Sophomore Charisma Taylor ranks fifth in the country according to athletic.net in the triple jump with a jump of 44 feet 2 3/4 inches, and she hopes to build on that historic feat.  She will compete in the triple jump and the 60m hurdles at the Matador Qualifier at 7:30 p.m. and 6:20 p.m.

Junior Kreete Verlin will compete in the 60m hurdles along with Taylor. Verlin is also slotted to compete in three other events: the long jump at 5 p.m., the 60m at 6:40 p.m. and the 200m at 8:10 p.m.

Freshman Leonie Reuter will compete in the high jump at the Matador Qualifier as she looks to improve on her second place, personal-record setting performance from last week. The high jump will take place at 5 p.m.

Junior Mitch Jacobson looks to finish in the top three in the high jump this week in Lubbock. Last week he came in fourth place with a jump of 7-1. He will participate in the high jump at 5 p.m.

Jacobson’s teammate senior Sam Brixey finished first last week in the 60m hurdles with a time of 7.72 seconds. He hopes to repeat his performance this weekend in the Matador Qualifier in the event at 7:45 p.m.

Senior Emmanuel “RayRay” Wells Jr. and junior Jake Ulrich will both compete in two events in Lubbock. Wells will run in the 60 preliminary at 6:50 p.m. and the 200m at 8:25 p.m. Ulrich will also run in the 200m as well as the 400m at 7:15 p.m.

The Cougars will send 19 of their athletes to the Last Chance College Elite in Seattle.

Senior Jordyn Tucker will compete in the 60m preliminary at 4:30 p.m. She will be competing alongside freshman Jasneet Nijjar who will also run in the 400m at 5:35 p.m. and the 200-meter at 6:15 p.m.

Senior Kaili Keefe and junior twin sisters Zorana and Jelena Grujic will run in the mile and 800m events at 4:50 p.m. and 5:55 p.m. respectively.

WSU will send two throwers to Seattle in freshman Faimalie Sale and senior Chrisshnay Brown. Sale will compete in the weight throw at 2 p.m. and Brown will participate in the shot put at around 5 p.m.

The men’s squad will be led in Seattle by redshirt senior Ja’Maun Charles in the 60m and sophomore Jacob Englar in the pole vault. Charles will run in the 60m preliminary at 4:40 p.m. and Englar will compete in the pole vault at 4:30 p.m.

The Cougars will also have six runners, led by redshirt junior Colton Johnsen, compete in the mile event at 4:57 p.m.

The Matador Qualifier field events starts at 5 p.m. with the women’s and men’s long jump, shot put, high jump and the women’s pole vault. The running events start at 6 p.m. with the women’s mile and end with the men’s 4x400m relay race at 9:20 p.m. The meet will be broadcast online on Texas Tech TV.

The Last Chance College Elite will begin at 2 p.m. with the women’s weight throw. The running events will start with the women’s 60m hurdles prelim at 4 p.m. and end with the men’s 200m at 6:25 p.m.