ASWSU 2020: Waddill and Velez-Fucal reflect on loss

Candidates secured 43.7 percent of the vote with 12.9 percent voter turnout; they hope opposition will fulfill their promises

Kylie+Waddill+and+Donavyn+Velez-Fucal+hug+and+cry+after+they+received+a+phone+call+from+ASWSU+President+Quinton+Berkompas+telling+them+the+results+of+the+election.+They+lost+891+to+1%2C208.+

LUKE HUDSON | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

Kylie Waddill and Donavyn Velez-Fucal hug and cry after they received a phone call from ASWSU President Quinton Berkompas telling them the results of the election. They lost 891 to 1,208.

LUKE HUDSON, Evergreen reporter

Kylie Waddill and Donavyn Velez-Fucal lost the ASWSU election for President and Vice President for the 2020-2021 school year. 

“It sucks,” Waddill said. “I hope that Curtis [Cohen] and Sean [Doster] do everything that they have said.”

Waddill and Velez-Fucal lost by a vote of 891 to 1,208, which is about 43.7 percent of the overall voter turnout. The overall voter turnout was about 12.9 percent of the WSU student body. 

“We lost,” Waddill said, after ASWSU President Quinton Berkompas called to tell her the results. 

CUE Room 119 fell silent for a moment when members of the Waddill-Velez-Fucal campaign heard the results. People began clapping as Waddill and Velez-Fucal hugged each other as well as others present at the viewing party.

“Title or no title, Kylie and all of us are here are still going to do what we need to do to fulfill at least part of what the platform that we ran on,” Velez-Fucal said.

Both Waddill and Velez-Fucal want students who did not vote in the election to reach out and tell them why. Waddill said she wants to know if there are students who do not know what is going on. 

Velez-Fucal said students should not give up hope about finding a family and a place where they belong at WSU.

“It’s a small town, but everybody has a home here,” he said. “Never give up at finding where that home is.”

Waddill said she hopes Cohen and Doster reach the communities they said they would and unite them.   

“We’re paying so much money to go to this institution that continually marginalizes people who are different, and doesn’t let them hold spaces that will inspire others,” Waddill said.