Student facilities director outlines safety measures for reopening

Chinook to open Aug. 15; face masks must be worn when social distancing not possible

The+Student+Recreation+Center+opened+last+week+with+safety+measures+in+place+to+prevent+the+spread+of+COVID-19.+The+Chinook+will+reopen+Aug.+15.+

COURTESY OF STUDENT AFFAIRS MARKETING

The Student Recreation Center opened last week with safety measures in place to prevent the spread of COVID-19. The Chinook will reopen Aug. 15.

BRADLEY GAMBLE, Evergreen reporter

The Student Recreation Center implemented safety guidelines to protect students and staff upon its reopening.

Everyone must wear a mask or cloth face covering to enter all indoor and outdoor facilities when social distancing cannot be maintained, according to the UREC website

UREC Facilities Director Jeff Elbracht said masks are not required for people in the pool, the individual workout area or in fitness classes when proper distancing is possible. A reservation is required to enter those areas as well as to use the climbing wall. Timeslots can be reserved on the SRC website.

As students return to campus, reservations will be required for more areas in the SRC as well as the Chinook, which is set to reopen Aug. 15. The SRC reopened July 17. 

Everyone entering the SRC will get their temperature checked by a touchless device, according to the website. Anyone with a temperature registering 100.4 degrees or more will be asked to leave the building, return home and call a medical professional.

Elbracht said the department is considering adding automated temperature checking systems to the Chinook and UREC to further protect staff and participants from exposure to COVID-19.

Everyone entering must also fill out an attestation form stating they have not experienced symptoms or tested positive for COVID-19 in the past 14 days, according to the website. The form must be submitted every time a person enters one of the recreation facilities. 

Equipment must be cleaned before and after use with the cleaning spray and wipes provided, Elbracht said. Custodial staff deep clean all equipment every morning before opening and every evening after closing.