Letter from the Editor: The art of reinvention

ROOTS editor will incorporate more podcasts, encourages students to grow during pandemic

MADYSEN MCLAIN, Evergreen roots editor

As WSU students log into their first Zoom meetings of the semester, I hope they take this unusual time to grow. Growth can take many formats, whether it’s picking up a new hobby or finally listening to that one podcast you’ve been putting on the backburner.

If you haven’t met me yet, I’m Madysen McLain and I’m a senior majoring in multimedia journalism. I attended high school in a small town called Hunters, Washington. In addition to my involvement in The Daily Evergreen, I am a resident adviser and an officer for the Association for Women in Communications.

I recently listened to a Ted Radio Hour podcast episode about reinvention. The topic alone seemed wildly relevant to the times we are all living in. It seems like almost all aspects of my life have taken a virtual format: classes, social interactions and even, physical activity.

As I heard story after story, I kept thinking about how I could reinvent the Roots section this semester. I hope to use the many virtual tools around me to effectively tell the stories of business leaders, community activists and student leaders.

Reinvention for this section can take many forms, such as producing more podcasts or creating a series of articles about a topic that has national and local impacts on Pullman. Some of those topics that come to mind are racial and gender inequalities.

I hope to continue providing thorough coverage of new and outgoing business on the Palouse, as well as outstanding undergraduate and graduate students.

Now circling back to WSU students, whether you are at home or in Pullman, there are opportunities around you. Meet a few extra times with your professors over Zoom, make the time to try out an online class offered by university recreation or donate to local businesses in Pullman.

If you have a story idea or are interested in working for The Daily Evergreen, feel free to email me at [email protected]. There is also an option to reach me through phone or Zoom.