ASWSU event to include student leader panel, Q&A

Event will be from 5-6 p.m. Sept. 24 via Zoom; student leaders include ASWSU Vice President, Director of Health

COURTESY OF RHYS CHAPMAN

Rhys Chapman, chair of ASWSU’s Issues and Forums Committee, said the goal for the “You and COVID-19” event is to further educate and increase awareness among students about the risks of COVID-19.

MICHELLE PAREDES STRONG, Evergreen reporter

ASWSU is hosting a panel and Q&A with student leaders from 5-6 p.m. Sept. 24 on Youtube and Zoom. 

The goal for the “You and COVID-19” event is to further educate and increase awareness among students about the risks of COVID-19, said Rhys Chapman, chair of ASWSU’s Issues and Forums Committee. 

ASWSU believes a message coming from peers might be more profound in encouraging students to change their behavior, Chapman said. 

“We’ve already heard the message from administrators a number of times, and clearly students are still contracting COVID at alarming rates,” he said. 

Several student leaders will be speaking at the event including ASWSU Vice President Sean Doster and ASWSU Director of Health Patrick Johnson. Panhellenic President Megan Gould and Sigma Phi Epsilon President Jared Holstad will also speak, Chapman said. 

Students will be able to ask questions about how to protect themselves and what the student body is doing in response to COVID-19, he said. 

“A big part of what ASWSU does is provide useful information to students, in this case, safety information, maybe even life-saving information,” Chapman said. 

The event can be accessed with the Zoom meeting ID: 951 2413 0745.