CUB expands services by creating more study spaces

Fourth-floor study spaces must be reserved in advance; other spaces are first come, first served

Students must sanitize the spaces after use and wear a mask at all times while inside the CUB.

JAYCE CARRAL, Evergreen reporter

The Compton Union Building expanded its services this spring so students can use individual study spaces throughout the building. 

Over 100 individual study spaces are available to students through the lower level and ground floor, as well as the first and second floors of the CUB, said Karee Shaw, director of CUB Facilities and Operations. The spaces are more than 6 feet apart and there are sanitation spaces located throughout each floor.

“We’ve removed all the soft seating so sitting consists of hard surfaces and chairs  — tables and chairs, basically,” she said. 

CUB staff wanted to create an environment that allows students to be on campus so they can study or relax, but also prevent close contact between students. 

Students are now able to reserve spaces in some of the centers on the fourth floor of the CUB, including the Asian American and Pacific Islander Student Center, African American Student Center, Chicanx Latinx Student Center and Gender Identity/Expression and Sexual Orientation Resource Center, said Stephen Bischoff, director of Student Equity and Multicultural Student Services. 

The number of students allowed in each center is determined by its directors, but each center can hold about five to six students, Bischoff said. 

Students must maintain social distancing while inside the centers. There are sanitation stations at each individual space for students to use. The staff inside each center will also periodically sanitize the center and its unoccupied spaces, he said. 

Students are directed to use certain stairwells to enter and leave each floor, unless they need to use the elevator because of accessibility, Bischoff said.

As long as students remain in their spaces, they can still hold conversations with each other, he said. 

“For the most part it’s a study space, but it does offer some interactive space,” Bischoff said. “I think there’s a certain level of comfort of being in these spaces.” 

Students must sanitize the spaces after use and wear a mask at all times while inside the CUB, Shaw said. They must also show proof of their attestation and arrival testing to staff members at the information desk on the first floor or in the lobby of the fourth floor. Students can complete attestation on myWSU. 

Students are able to access some services in the CUB like the Bookie, CougarCard Center, Coug Prints and ATMs. Some food places like Reunion Coffee, Gridiron and the Bookie Cafe will also remain open, she said.

Shaw said she hopes to offer other services like movies in the auditorium and small organized events, depending on state and county guidelines

The CUB is open 7:30 a.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Friday and 10 a.m. to 7 p.m. on weekends.