Volleyball leaves desert with sweep

Cougars to direct attention to UCLA; games set for Thursday, Saturday in Pullman

BENJAMIN MICHAELIS | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

The WSU women’s volleyball team celebrates on-court after scoring the 18th and winning point against Utah on Sept. 28, 2018 in Bohler Gym.

KAT MCKINNEY-ROLEY, Evergreen reporter

The WSU volleyball team traveled to Tempe, Arizona, last week to play the Arizona State Sun Devils on Thursday and Saturday.

The first match was played on Jan. 28, and WSU won 3-2, with ASU almost making a comeback in the fourth set. In the second and final match on Jan. 30, the Cougs won 3-1. The Cougs improved their season to 3-1 overall.

In the first match, sophomore Pia Timmer and freshman Julianna Dalton both had 14 kills. Redshirt sophomore Kalyah Williams had 11. Timmer also served two aces along with senior Penny Tusa. Sophomore Magda Jehlarova led the Cougs with seven blocks as well.

Redshirt sophomore Hannah Pukis lead the Cougs with both digs and assists, with 45 and 20, respectively.

The Cougs had a total of 64 kills, 13 blocks, and 73 digs in the first match against the Sun Devils.

WSU’s impressive second and third sets helped to build momentum and win the first match on Thursday.

After going up 1-0 on the Sun Devils earlier in the week, WSU kept the momentum going on Saturday with 54 kills and 65 digs.

Williams and Dalton both had 12 kills, and Jehlarova scored 11 of her own. Tusa led the Cougs with three aces while Williams also led the Cougs with seven blocks. Pukis again led the Cougs with assists and digs with 42 and 14, respectively.

In the second match against the Sun Devils, the Cougs lost the first set, but came back to win three consecutive sets to win the match and sweep the Sun Devils in their home stadium.

The Cougs take on UCLA this week. These two matches should be fun to watch as the Cougs come off the momentum from these two road wins.

The volleyball team will play UCLA this Thursday at 6 p.m. and Saturday at 11 a.m. at Bohler Gym in Pullman.