Track & field places well in Arkansas Qualifier

Cougars now head back to Seattle for UW Invitational on Friday

ABIGAIL LINNENKOHL | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

The track and field men’s team placed sixth in the pole vault with a 5.06 meter vault.

DANIEL SHURR, Evergreen reporter

The WSU track and field team had their first out-of-conference meet of the season on Friday as they headed east to Arkansas for the Arkansas Qualifier.

The WSU women’s team placed fifth overall, and the men’s squad came in at seventh place to end the meet.

WSU junior Charisma Taylor started the day by setting a school record in the women’s 60-meter hurdles with a preliminary time of 8.19 seconds. She also placed second in the triple jump event, jumping 13.3 meters.

“What made this even more impressive was that she ran the 60-meter hurdles prelims, minutes later ran the 60-meter hurdle finals, and then immediately ran over to the triple jump which had already started,” said Wayne Phipps, track and field director.

Senior Sam Brixey set a new season-best in the 60-meter hurdles for the men, running a time of 7.8 seconds and finishing second place in a photo finish.

Junior Zach Stallings blazed his way to a first-place spot in the mile, running a time of 4:02.04, which is a personal record for him.

Junior Mackenzie Fletcher set a season-best for herself in the women’s 400-meter coming in at 57.86.

Sophomore Skyler Walton continued the Cougar success on the track, coming in third in the 60-meter sprint with a time of 7.49, setting a new personal best, and seventh-best in school history.

Freshman Jasneet Nijjar also got a taste of the success the Cougars were having. The sophomore set a personal best in the women’s 200-meter, running it in 24.63 seconds.

Senior Colton Johnsen posted a time of 8:07.68 in the 3000-meter, fast enough to secure third place.

Senior Emily Coombs set a season-best in pole vault, vaulting 3.85 meters. While junior vaulter Jacob Englar placed sixth in the men’s vault at 5.06 meters.

Continuing with the theme of records, sophomore Anna Rodgers jumped 5.92 meters en route to setting a personal best in the long jump. That was moments before junior Aislinn Overby set her season-best mark in high jump with a height of 1.63 meters.

WSU senior Mitch Jacobson clinched first place in men’s high jump and leaped 2.10 meters into the air.

All in all, the Cougars had a lot of success in Fayetteville, as the team showed that they can indeed compete with the top track and field athletes in the nation.

The Cougars will be back on the road to Seattle for the second time this season to take on the Washington Huskies on Friday, Feb. 12.

This time they will be competing in the annual UW Invitational. The team will look to keep building on the success they have found so far this year.