Volleyball hosts undefeated Colorado

Buffaloes come into weekend matchup undefeated after beating Cal, OSU; Buffs are second in Pac-12

ABIGAIL LINNENKOHL | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

Then-freshman middleblocker Magda Jehlarova spikes ball on Nov. 15, 2019 in Bohler.

KAT MCKINNEY-ROLEY, Evergreen reporter

The No. 22 WSU volleyball team (4-2) will remain in Bohler Gym this weekend to take on the Colorado Buffaloes (4-0). The Cougars are coming off a series split against No. 18 UCLA last week.

“We moved up in the poll after beating  [UCLA], and this conference is pretty brutal as far as every single weekend you’re going to have some tough matches, and there’s another good team coming in this weekend,” head coach Jen Greeny said about Colorado.WSU outplayed the Bruins offensively in their 3-2 win in the first match, outdoing UCLA in every statistical category except for aces and digs.

The team’s 3-1 loss in the second match was largely because of their decline in offensive play, as the Cougars’ 57 points scored was 23 less than their win on Thursday.

“Taking away something from the weekend is I think when we play well, we’re playing really well,” Greeny said. “When we aren’t playing well, we have to find a way to score points or at least slow the other team down more than they did.”

WSU saw several key players on the leaderboard for kills, aces, digs and assists. Sophomore outside hitter Pia Timmer led the Cougs in kills and aces in both matches against UCLA. Timmer is also the team leader this season in kills and points with 80 and 95, respectively.

“I think UCLA is a very good team and we were really happy how we played against them in the first match. I think our offense was fantastic,” Greeny said.

Colorado is coming off sweeps of both Oregon State and California. The Buffalos are currently second in the Pac-12 behind Utah (6-0) and are looking to continue their perfect record against WSU.

“We’ve watched a little bit of film from the four matches. I think they’re playing really well; their offense is sticking along, and they’ve got some great firepower from every direction,” Greeny said.

Colorado’s sophomore outside hitter Elissa Alcantara and junior setter Jenna Ewert will be the players to watch this weekend against WSU. Alcantara is the team’s leader in points and kills while Ewert leads in assists and aces.

The Buffs are coming in with 183 kills in their four matches this season, which in six matches the Cougs have posted 331. Both teams have multiple high scoring offensive players and great serving records.

WSU and Colorado are coming off exciting previous weekends, and both are looking to keep their momentum rolling. The Cougars start their first match against the Buffs at 4 p.m. Thursday and the second match at 11 a.m. Saturday.

Both matches will be played at Bohler Gym in Pullman and can be live-streamed on the Pac-12 website.