Thanksgiving dinner duds

WSU students share their Thanksgiving plans, opinions on worst Thanksgiving dish

Sophmore+education+majors+Emilee+Rodriguez+%28left%29+and+Conner+Crosby+%28right%29+share+their+thoughts+on+the+worst+Thanksgiving+dish+on+Nov.+16+in+front+of+the+Compton+Union+Building+in+Pullman.+

MASON MARON

Sophmore education majors Emilee Rodriguez (left) and Conner Crosby (right) share their thoughts on the worst Thanksgiving dish on Nov. 16 in front of the Compton Union Building in Pullman.

ANNA MICHALSON, Evergreen reporter

Thanksgiving break begins next week, and many WSU Pullman students are planning on heading home to spend the holiday with friends and family. 

Thanksgiving break means Thanksgiving dinner is on the horizon. Anytime there’s that much food in one spot, there are bound to be some unsavory dishes on the table. 

But what is the most overrated Thanksgiving dish of them all? WSU students sound off. 

JaLynn Williams, freshman athletic training major, said she will be going home to Dupont, Washington to spend time with her family. As a WSU cheerleader, she will also be cheering at the Apple Cup next Friday.

“I’d say the most overrated Thanksgiving food is ham; it’s kind of dry sometimes,” Williams said. 

Avery Ritter, junior landscape architecture major, said he will be driving to Bellingham, Washington to visit friends, and then return home to Olympia to spend the remainder of break with his parents.

“Whatever that cranberry stuff is is the worst Thanksgiving food,” Ritter said. “I don’t know what it is, but I am not about it.”

Sophomores Emilee Rodriguez and Conner Crosby are both members of the WSU marching band.  They said they are very excited to be performing at the Apple Cup. 

“I think the most overrated food is turkey,” Rodriguez said. “It’s always so dry; it never tastes good.”

Crosby, who plays the trombone, said he will be able to spend some time at his home in Vancouver, Washington, but a lot of his time will be taken up by brand practice ahead of the Apple Cup. 

Megan Conroy, sophomore elementary education major, said she will be flying to Oregon where her family recently moved and will be spending time with her cousins and family over the break. 

Conroy said her least favorite Thanksgiving food is sweet potatoes. 

“I love mashed potatoes, and potatoes will always be amazing,” Conroy said. “But I just think that sweet potatoes are like, not it.” 

Chloe Woodward, sophomore public relations major, will be traveling home to Kent, Washington, to see her newly renovated house that her mom and her boyfriend have been working on while Woodward was gone. 

“We are having a celebration at the house with the people who helped work on it, just something fun to do in our newly remodeled house,” she said.

As for Woodward’s least favorite Thanksgiving food, she said it has to be stuffing. 

“I think stuffing is kind of gross. You have to make it right, otherwise it sucks,” Woodward said.