ASWSU confirms three new members

Members want to expand Cougar Closet, prioritize mental health

KHOI VU

Newly confirmed ASWSU members discuss the need for change on campus, Sept. 21.

ALEXANDRIA BUCK, Evergreen reporter

ASWSU confirmed three new members during its meeting Wednesday night.

Collin Bannister, freshman philosophy major, stood in front of ASWSU convincing them to pick him for the new director of Legislative Affairs position.

Bannister said his grandmother and grandfather fell in love on campus, and he would not be here if it was not for WSU.

“I have never felt more connected to a place or a people than being here [WSU],” Bannister said.

His future legislation will primarily focus on mental health and advocating for more student resources, wanting to make it easier for students to visit counselors and get the help they need.

“There are countless Cougars out there who need legislation targeted towards them. Helping them with college finances and mental health,” Bannister said.

ASWSU swore Bannister in after the meeting.

ASWSU also selected Angelina Hermens, senior political science pre-law and philosophy double major, for the College of Arts and Sciences senator position.

She wants to initiate change around campus, like expanding the Cougar Closet, so students have access to more clothes. This allows students to feel comfortable and confident in the clothes that they are wearing every day, she said.

Sicaly Sorrell, senior multimedia journalism major, was approved for the Communication senator position.

Sorrell said she wants to focus on spreading awareness about the current hot topic of women’s rights, prioritizing the protection of women on campus and making it safer for them.