Wazzu Weekly: Sept. 30, 2022

JULIAN CABALLERO

WSU linebacker Travion Brown tackles and Oregon player during an NCAA college football game, Sep. 24.

Saturday’s soul-crushing loss to Oregon is still fresh on our minds. 

It is hard to allow over 600 offensive yards and win a game but the Cougs almost did it, until, of course, they did not. 

WSU football lost a two-score lead with four minutes left in the game. A last-minute touchdown was encouraging but all was lost the minute Oregon made a wicked defensive play and took it to the house, simultaneously pushing a dagger into the 30,000-plus hearts of Martin Stadium’s first sell-out in three years.

Cougar football will regroup and host California for homecoming. The Cougs are favored by 3.5 points and will need to be on their best-run defense behavior in order to stop a Cal offense whose running back, Jaydn Ott, rushed for 274 yards against Arizona.

KHOI VU
WSU quarterback Cameron Ward dives for the pylon during an NCAA college football game against Oregon, Sep. 24.

While Cougar football was busy playing a great 55 minutes and a horrendous five minutes of football, volleyball walked into Los Angeles and got the dub in five sets over USC.

Their nine-match road trip concludes with a 7 p.m. Friday match versus California and a noon Sunday match versus Stanford.

Soccer is back in Pullman. By the time you read this, Todd Shulenberger, WSU soccer head coach could stand alone as the winningest head coach in WSU soccer history. The Cougs have had a very encouraging season beating the teams they are supposed to.

KHOI VU
WSU forward Lily Boyden crosses the ball during an NCAA women’s soccer game against Cal Poly, Sep. 11, at Lower Soccer Field.

“You got better teams, you’re playing against better coaches and everything is on the line,” Shulenberger said in his press conference.

Cross country faced Pac-12 competition in Oregon.

Swimming will challenge themselves in Friday’s Crimson and Gray intrasquad.

Tennis’ fall invitational season is underway.

Rowing is in Canada for their first Regatta.

Women’s golf achievied their second-consecutive top five finish. They finished tied for fifth place with a team score of 878 (+14).

“Threes for 3 illuminated Student-athlete mental health”

JUSTIN WASHINGTON
Vaughn Drewien shoots a basketball at the Threes for 3 chariety event for Hilinski’s Hope on April 9, 2022. Drewien planned the event along with six other Sports Managment seniors as part of their capstone project.

In April, seven sports management seniors including Ula Motuga, WSU women’s basketball player hosted a three-point contest called Threes for 3.  They raised over $700 for Hilinski’s Hope Foundation, an organization that honors the memory of the late WSU quarterback Tyler Hilinski by focusing on student-athlete mental health.

“WSU student-athletes set for autograph signing”

Several student athletes including WSU quarterback Cam Ward will sign autographs on Sunday in Pullman.

“WSU home to rising esports community”

Esports is rising in popularity and has a decent presence here at WSU too.

“Daylon Daily: New Coach, Same Expectation”

Track and field has a new head coach but Daylon Hicks knows that expectations are as high if not higher than before.

“ZZU CRU leads the best student section in the Pac-12”

KHOI VU
Butch T. Cougar crowd surfs in the student section during an NCAA college football game against Oregon, Sep. 24.

Cougar Football Saturday is rich with tradition.

“Heartbreak hits the nation in week 4 of college football” 

“NFL week three recap”

That is all for this week. Thank you for reading and Go Cougs!