WSU women’s hoops wins Pac-12 Championship, baseball off to best start in 43 years

Wazzu Weekly March 10, 2023

Courtesy of WSU Athletics

WSU head coach Kamie Ethrige hoists the Pac-12 Championship trophy as her WSU women’s basketball team celebrates after beating UCLA 65-61 in the Pac-12 Championship, March 5, 2023 in the Michelob ULTRA Arena in Las Vegas.

The WSU Cougars are Pac-12 Champions! On Sunday, WSU women’s basketball did what no WSU team had done in decades. They won the Pac-12 Championship, and they did so in spectacular fashion — by winning four games in five days to become the lowest seed (seventh) to not only win the championship but make it to the final round in the first place.

Charlisse Leger-Walker set the Pac-12 women’s basketball Tournament record with 76 points through four games. Bella Murekatete turned in double-digit performances each game. Both players are among the best in the country.

But fifth-year Ula Motuga captured Cougs’ hearts with her clutch free throws, stellar 3-point shots and gleaming admiration for “auntie” Shania Twain and her 1997 hit “Man! I Feel Like A Woman,” which became the team’s celebratory anthem.

Courtesy of Pac-12 Conference
WSU women’s basketball sing Shania Twain’s “Man! I Feel Like a Woman” with the Crimson Girls after upsetting No. 3 Utah 66-58, March 2, 2023 at Michelob Ultra Arena in Las Vegas.

Hear the sites and sounds of the best day in WSU women’s basketball history as they beat the fifth-seeded and top 25 team UCLA, 65-61 to win the Pac-12 Championship.

WSU women’s basketball wins first Pac-12 Championship

‘Let’s go Cougs:’ Cougar hoops gain a fan in Shania Twain

WSU women advance to first Pac-12 Championship

WSU women beat No. 3 Utah in biggest win in program history

Cougs beat UCLA in LA for first time

Cougars take their chances, win in first round of Pac-12 Tournament

WSU men’s basketball

HAILEE SPEIR
WSU guard TJ Bamba goes up for a shot during an NCAA men’s basketball game against Oregon, Sunday, Feb. 19, 2023, in Pullman, Wash.

WSU men’s basketball headed to Las Vegas with hopes to replicate their women’s team colleagues’ efforts, but came up short against fourth-seeded Oregon losing 75-70 after beating 12th-seeded California 69-52 Wednesday.

DJ Rodman delivered a double-double on day one and a decisive block on day two to keep the Cougars’ hopes alive, but even Andrej Jakimovski’s lost tooth (which he got surgically put back in at 7:30 Thursday morning) could not keep the Cougs alive in March.

Justin Powell, leading in silence

Cougs sweep Apple Cup and secure winning season

Cougs beat Stanford to reach .500 in Pac-12

Cougs beat Cal to almost cement winning season

WSU baseball

WSU pitcher Shane Spencer throws a pitch during an NCAA baseball game against Seattle University, March 7, 2023, in Pullman, Wash.

WSU baseball is off to its hottest start since 1980. Head coach Brian Greene’s transfer-heavy roster put together the best record in the Pac-12 so far.

Sam Brown hit four home runs in four straight days in his first four career games at Bailey-Brayton Field in Pulman.

JULIAN CABALLERO
WSU first baseman Sam Brown celebrates after hitting a home run during an NCAA game against Seattle University, Tuesday, March 7, 2023, in Pullman, Wash.

Sam Brown homers in four straight games in Pullman

Cougars set for toughest challenge yet as they face the Beavers Friday

WSU baseball survives fast start from Redhawks, improves to 11-1 on the year

Offense impresses as WSU baseball gets off to best start since 1980 

Cougars score 84 runs in first eight games, their most this decade

WSU swimming

COURTESY OF WSU ATHLETICS
WSU swim competes in the Pac-12 Championship.

Angela Di Palo: far from home, in her element

Freshmen in the spotlight: WSU swim sends two to NCAA Championships

WSU swim preparing for CSCAA Championships

WSU freshmen make huge splash at Pac-12 Championships

WSU tennis

HAILEE SPEIR
WSU tennis player Eva Alverez Sande serves the ball during an NCAA tennis match against UCLA, Sunday, March 5, 2023, in Pullman, Wash.

WSU kicks off Pac-12 Conference play with two losses

Tennis keeping up positive energy with weekend wins 

WSU women’s golf

WSU Women’s golf roundup

WSU men’s golf

Cougar men’s golf go toe to toe with the best 

Pullman High School boys basketball

The Pullman High School boys basketball team poses for a photo with the 3rd place trophy after defeating Prosser 57-53, March 4, 2023, in Yakima, Wash.

The Pullman Greyhounds came up just short in the 2A Washington Interscholastic Athletics Association Tournament as they lost to Mark Morris, 52-49.

In the third-place game, the Greyhounds secured third place in state with a 57-53 win over Prosser. 

Pullman shooting forward Dane Sykes looks for a pass during a 2A state semifinal game against Mark Morris, March 3, 2023, in Yakima, Wash.

Greyhounds end season, finish 3rd in State Tournament

Pullman boy’s basketball undefeated no more

Greyhounds win first game in Yakima; continue state tournament run 

Greyhounds travel well in win in Spokane 

Pullman Greyhounds overcome 18-point decifit in state first round

Pullman point guard Jaedyn Brown calls for a screen during a 2A state semifinal game against Mark Morris, March 3, 2023, in Yakima, Wash.

NBA

Hardwood Hypothesis week 21

Damian Lillard’s 71 points: witnessing history 

The Ja Morant situation

NFL

GRACIE ROGERS
Bezos is most intrigued by buying the Seahawks.

Jeff Bezos interested in buying Seahawks

Looking back at the biggest trades of the 2022–2023 NFL season

MLB

FAITH THOMAS
Mariners fans were overjoyed when they learned broadcaster Aaron Goldsmith would return to the team after he withdrew his name from a highly coveted play-by-play job with the St. Louis Cardinals.

In true demonstration of love, Aaron Goldsmith returns to the Mariners

More from The Daily Evergreen:

Sarah Silvernail named to 2023 Pac-12 Hall of Honor class 

Former Coug finds new home as assistant coach

WSU Cheer Squad win at nationals

WSU women’s hoops will learn where they will begin the big dance at 5 p.m. Sunday during the Selection Sunday Show on ESPN. The men must wait and see if they have earned a spot in the National Invitational Tournament and WSU baseball is off to their best start since 1980 and face the Oregon State Beavers, the best team in the Pac-12, over the weekend.

Thank you for reading and Go Cougs!