Gender-inclusive facilities open on campus

Facilities are located in the Chinook Student Center and the Student Recreation Center

DARA EMAN | Evergreen Photo Illustration

New facilities include both bathrooms and locker rooms.

LINH NGUYEN, Evergreen reporter

WSU has introduced two new gender-inclusive locker rooms to recreation facilities on campus. The locker rooms are located in the Student Recreation Center and the Chinook Student Center.

The SRC’s gender-inclusive locker room was opened a few weeks ago and can be found on the left of the facility, upon entering the building.

“We want to help make it a better environment for students,” said Jeff Elbracht, the director of University Recreation and overseer for the project.

Elbracht said the gender-inclusive facilities have been a project that students have consistently have asked for.

Elbracht said he hopes to see more inclusive facilities in other buildings on campus accessible to the general public and for students.
The other locker room can be spotted in the Chinook Student Center.

This gender-inclusive locker room is in the basement level of the Chinook building, near the saunas and weight rooms.

The locker room was constructed as a result of the Chinook Project, a $32 million plan that was completed last spring.

Along with the locker rooms, there are two gender-inclusive restrooms.

After a week test run for the restrooms back in the fall of 2016, the restrooms have made a permanent stay on campus.
One restroom is located in the CUB, with the other in the Chinook.

The restrooms were both finished in the spring to give students options on campus.