Cougars host San Diego State Thursday to continue home stand

WSU faces Aztecs at 7 p.m. Thursday at Lower Soccer Field
The WSU women’s soccer team celebrates with Butch T. Cougar after defeating Weber State 3-1, Aug. 27, 2023, in Pullman, Wash.

The No. 17/18 WSU women’s soccer team continues their all-September home stand Thursday as they host San Diego State. Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. at Lower Soccer Field in Pullman.

WSU senior Bridget Rieken was also named the Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Week. Rieken played all 180 minutes, leading the Cougars to wins at Portland Thursday night and against Weber State Sunday afternoon. The fifth-year senior scored the game-winner in the 48th minute at Portland for WSU’s first-ever win against the Pilots.

Rieken captained the defense to a clean sheet in Portland, as well as helping the Cougs limit Weber State to just six total shots, with only two on goals. This is the second time in Rieken’s career she has been named Pac-12 Defensive Player of the Week, the first in nearly two years (September 6, 2021). This is the second weekly Pac-12 honor for WSU women’s soccer in as many weeks this season.

“It’s great for Cougs to get recognition,” head coach Todd Shulenbergers said. “It’s obviously a team sport, and they got great teammates around them that’s helping them survive and succeed. It’s two weeks, it’s great, I don’t want to downplay that by any means because it’s well deserved, but there’s a lot more out there on the table to get going for.”

During a press conference Tuesday, Shulenberger spoke about the things he wants to continue to work on ahead of Thursday’s game, even with the Cougs’ 4-0 start.

“I still think we have to get better defensively here, when it turns over or just following the other team’s build-up,” said Shuleberger. “We’re young in some spots so we have to continue to thrive in that area. I think when we can turn teams over we’re at our best. I’d say we just have to continue to grow in that aspect, to be a great team defensively, individually, in small groups and as a whole collective group.

Shulenberger also spoke about the team’s depth offensively and how it has allowed the Cougar offense to be firing the way it has so far this season.

“We’re more cool, calm and collected in front of goal, that’s as a group,” Shulenberger said. “We have more depth, and we got kids up front who aren’t afraid to take chances, which I think is important in front of goal. You can get up there and get cold feet quick. The shots are quality right now, and like I’ve been saying, that’s our focus not just quantity.”

Ahead of Thursday night’s game, Shulenberger said that San Diego State has a good team and are not to be taken lightly.

“They’re a really good team, great coaching staff,” said Shulenberger. “They’re off to a good start and they’re going to try and keep the ball. They’re dangerous, they have some great attackers, a good back line and great goalkeeping. It’ll be a battle like it is always with those guys, and we’re excited to host them on Thursday.”

Kick-off is scheduled for 7 p.m. Thursday, at Lower Soccer Field in Pullman.