Cougars end non-conference play with victory over Redhawks

Senior’s goals lift Cougs over Seattle U at home
MADDY RICE
The scoreboard shows a Cougs victory in an NCAA soccer match against the Seattle U Redhawks September 14, 2023 at Lower Soccer Field in Pullman, Wash.

The No. 24 WSU women’s soccer team (7-1-0) defeated the Seattle U Redhawks, 2-1, Thursday night at Lower Soccer Field, to wrap up their non-conference regular season play. WSU seniors Margie Detrizio and Bridget Rieken each scored first-half goals with their heads to power the Cougs in front and win them the game.

With just over 50% of possession in the game, WSU controlled the game for much of the night. The opening goal came in the 29th minute when freshman Reagan Kotschau whipped a well-timed corner kick into the area. Detrizio met the ball in the air, directing it over the Seattle U goalkeeper, and under the crossbar to make it 1-0 for the Cougs. 

“To be honest, I’m not going to lie here, but I think the ball was played perfectly into my head and I just jumped and moved my head to the side and it went in,” Detrizio said postgame. “I just don’t really think about it I guess so it went in, good goal.”

This goal was Detrizio’s third of the year and Kotschau’s second assist as well. The goal was Detrizio’s 21st as a Cougar, and it moved Detrizio into a tie for eighth in school history. Detrizio also moved up to ninth all-time in career points for WSU (56).

The second goal came in the 39th minute when junior Rajanah Reed picked up an errant ball and sent a cross in from the left side of the pitch. Freshman Nat Lewis went for the out-swinging ball in the box and managed to deflect it just enough that Rieken was there at the back post to knock the second goal of the day in for the Cougs. The fifth-year senior has scored three goals this season, all with her head. The goal Thursday was Rieken’s ninth career goal, and ultimately the game-winner against Seattle U.

After halftime, WSU continued to dominate the ball and control play. The Redhawks scored from the penalty spot in the 74th minute to make it 2-1. A Redhawk forward tried to dribble along the end line inside the WSU box and was brought down by Cougar from behind. SU’s Kait Raffensperger stepped up and finished from the spot to get one back for the Redhawks

WSU closed out the game by controlling possession for the final 10 minutes. The Cougar’s defense limited Seattle to just four total shots but only three on target. WSU concludes the non-conference season with a 7-1-0 record, its best record since 2019 when it began Pac-12 play with a 7-1 record.

“Tonight the keeper made a couple of good saves, we could’ve done a little bit better,” head coach Todd Shulenberger said after the game. “We’re 7-1 going into conference play, I can’t ask for much more than that.”

The Cougars are back in action at 7 p.m. Friday in their Pac-12 conference season opener. WSU hosts No. 3 Stanford at Lower Soccer Field for Flashback Friday with the game streamed live by WSU.