WSU soccer kicks off Pac-12 play vs. Stanford

Cougars face tough test Friday, hosting ranked Cardinal
Butch and the Cougs run before a match vs. the Seattle U Redhawks Sept. 14, 2023

The WSU women’s soccer team begins Pac-12 conference play Friday, as they host the Stanford Cardinal at 7 p.m. at Lower Soccer Field in Pullman.

WSU wrapped up their non-conference schedule Thursday, Sept. 14, with a 2-1 win over Seattle University. Margie Detrizio and Bridget Rieken both scored their third goal of the season, while Rajanah Reed, Reagan Kotschau and Nat Lewis all recorded their third assist of the season. The Cougs started the year with a record of 7-1-0. 

“Yeah I thought we had a relatively good non-conference, I told the group we did great, probably about an A minus,” said head coach Todd Shulenberger during a press conference Tuesday. “We slipped on a game to go 7-1. I learned a lot and I like where this team is at. We’re 7-1 out of the gate, but we’re going to keep moving forward starting with Stanford Friday night.”

WSU and Stanford are familiar opponents, having met 31 times throughout history. The Cougs hold a 3-26-2 all-time record against Stanford. The Cougars tied the Cardinal in Pullman in 2018, but have not beaten the historic program since 2013. Stanford enters Friday’s matchup with WSU ranked No. 2, second only to the University of North Carolina. WSU is currently ranked No. 24 in the country for the second week in a row.

Stanford’s record is 7-0-1, with the single tie coming last week in an away matchup with No. 13 Georgetown. In Stanford’s final non-conference game of the season, they defeated  No. 12 Santa Clara 1-0, after redshirt sophomore Andrea Kitahata scored the game’s only goal. Stanford are the defending Pac-12 Champions and are now unbeaten in their last 20 games (17-0-3). 

Kickoff is scheduled for 7 p.m. Friday at Lower Soccer Field in Pullman.  The game will be live-streamed by WSU and is free for all to attend.