Willman’s Heisman Honorables – week six

Pac-12 QBs still top dogs
UW quarterback Michael Penix Jr. runs toward the endzone during the Apple Cup, Nov. 26, 2022.

Week six of the NCAA football season saw several notable names likely completely fall out of the Heisman race, including WSU QB Cam Ward, Notre Dame QB Sam Hartman and Kentucky RB Ray Davis. Despite some underwhelming performances, several other players stepped up and looked to solidify their case. 

The top three Heisman candidates remain from the Pac-12 Conference, with the Conference as a whole having the most impressive QB play from top to bottom. 

USC QB – Caleb Williams 

Every game that USC plays, it feels like they only win because of Williams’ miraculous play. After winning the Heisman last season, he has continued to only improve his game and become the most electric player in college football and one of the most talented players to ever play in the Pac-12. 

Against Arizona, he went 14-of-25 through the air for 219 yards a TD, adding 41 rushing yards and three TDs on the ground for his efforts. 

On the seasons, he is now up to 1,822 yards on a 71.7% completion rate, throwing 22 TDs to one interception and adding six rushing TDs for a total of 28. On pace to contribute to over 50 total TDs and have a more efficient season than his Heisman-winning one, he is the clear favorite to defend his trophy. 

Oregon QB – Bo Nix 

Both Nix and the next QB on this list will prove their candidacy in a head-to-head matchup as the Oregon Ducks and Washington Huskies compete in a top-10 matchup. Both are coming off a bye week but are masterful at their position.

Through five games in 2023, Nix has 1,459 yards while completing an impressive 80.4% of his passes and throwing for 15 TDs with just one interception. He has the highest rating of his career in 2023 and has even added two receptions for 36 yards. 

While he does not have the same rushing TD number he had in 2022, his candidacy will take a jump if the Ducks can pull off the win in Seattle. 

Washington QB – Michael Penix Jr.  

UW is set for its biggest game of the season Saturday and Penix will prove himself against the toughest defense he has faced so far. With the second-highest QB rating in the NCAA at 91.6, he is a statistical darling that if undefeated, should have the Heisman wrapped up nicely. 

With 1,999 yards and 16 TDs to just two interceptions, his zero TD performance against Arizona looks even more disappointing. Averaging four passing TDs a game if you remove that performance, he can likely get close to 50 on the year still, and with over 5,000 yards passing being achievable, there are few who can compete with his pure stats.  

Oklahoma QB – Dillon Gabriel 

After taking down the Longhorns in the Red River Showdown, Gabriel is firmly in the Heisman race. He has the third-highest QB rating in the country at 91.0, sitting just below the previously mentioned Penix. 

Statistically, he has put up 1,878 yards and 16 TDs and two interceptions, near identical stats to Penix, although he has played an extra game. Having averaged nearly 40 attempts in each of the past three games, Gabriel’s averages and overall stats will continue to improve as the season progresses. 

Michigan QB – J.J. McCarthy 

After falling short last season, the goal of Michigan football is to win the National Championship, and McCarthy has been vital to those aspirations. He is the highest-rated QB in the country at 93.6, the only thing holding him back from a Heisman is other statistical gurus.

At just 1,290 yards through the air and 11 TDs to three interceptions, he feels like an outlier on this list. Efficiency and team success would have to triumph over individual counting stats for McCarthy to win, making his case a long, but not impossible, shot.