Wazzu draws 1-1 at Cal

A late equalizer from Rajanah Reed gives the Cougs their first tie of the season
MADDY RICE
WSU number 16, forward Naomi Clark, rushes the ball against USC number 22 Helena Sampaio at an NCAA women’s soccer game against USC, Sept. 28, 2023, in Pullman, Wash.

The WSU soccer team (8-5-1, 1-4-1) wrapped up their second week of Pac-12 road play with a 1-1 tie against California (5-3-7, 2-0-5) Friday in Berkeley, California. 

The first goal of the match came quick, when Cal junior Karlie Lema managed to round WSU goalkeeper Nadia Cooper, taking a pass from freshman Soleil Dimry to find a wide-open net in the sixth minute.

The command of play went back and forth throughout the first half. Cal nearly netted a goal off of a corner kick at the 14-minute mark but was shut down by Cooper and WSU’s defensive line. Despite Cal’s 4-4 ratio of shots to shots on goal, Cooper held her ground and protected the goal with three saves in the first half.

For the first 20 minutes of the second half, WSU dominated possession of the ball. Senior Margie Detrizio led the offensive attack on Cal’s goal, ultimately totaling six shots. 

WSU junior Lindsey Turner was given a yellow card at the 45-minute mark after knocking down Cal senior Abby Borchers. The Cougs were given another yellow card in the 50th minute.

Led by Bridget Reiken and Reese Tappan, the Cougars’ defense rallied against Cal’s offensive attempts and their four shots during the second half.

It was WSU junior Rajanah Reed who found the equalizing goal for the Cougs with three minutes left in the match, after receiving the ball off Detrizio.

The last two minutes of the match were aggressive as both teams fought for possession of the ball, but before either could make a move, the clock ran out. Finishing with a draw, WSU ultimately outshot Cal 12-8.

WSU improves their all-time record against the Golden Bears to 12-17-4. Cal remains undefeated in Pac-12 play, and Friday’s game marks the fourth draw of their season.

Friday’s game results in the Cougars’ first draw of the season.

Detrizio’s assist to Reed improves her season total to a team-high of four. The WSU senior increases her career point total to 63, seventh in program history, and moves up in Pac-12 offensive player rankings to now be tied for fifth.

Reed’s late equalizer marks her third goal of the season. 

The Cougs will make their return to the Lower Soccer Playfields, facing Colorado in their Breast Cancer Awareness Game at 7 p.m. Thursday in Pullman.