Coug soccer to round off the season at Washington

An Apple Cup to end the year
WSU+number+14%2C+forward+Margie+Detrizo%2C+gazes+at+the+ball+suspended+mid-air+at+an+NCAA+womens+soccer+game+against+USC%2C+Sept.+28%2C+2023%2C+in+Pullman%2C+Wash.+
MADDY RICE
WSU number 14, forward Margie Detrizo, gazes at the ball suspended mid-air at an NCAA women’s soccer game against USC, Sept. 28, 2023, in Pullman, Wash.

In their final match of the 2023 season, the WSU soccer team (9-5-4, 3-4-3) will challenge UW (8-5-5, 3-4-3) in the Boeing Apple Cup Series 7 p.m. Friday at Husky Soccer Stadium in Seattle.

The Cougs are coming off two 2-2 draws against both the Beavs and the Ducks during last week’s road trip to Oregon. Also drawing the week prior against Utah, the Cougs have been without a win since their game against Colorado 19.

Outshooting Oregon 22-6 Sunday, the Cougs look to bring an ever-sharpened offense to Seattle. Senior forward Margie Detrizio has led WSU’s attack this season, increasing her total goals in 2023 to eight in Oregon. 

Now fourth in the rankings of Pac-12 offensive players, Detrizio holds 68 shots and 21 points on the season. With 26 career goals, Detrizio is tied for sixth-most goals in Cougar history.

WSU sophomore Peyton Price made an impressive career start with a career first goal and assist last Sunday at Oregon.

The Huskies, also returning from the road, secured a 1-0 win over Oregon last Thursday and drew 0-0 against Oregon State last Sunday.

In Corvallis, UW tallied 20 shots (half of which on goal) against the Beavs’ 17. They additionally outshot the Ducks 32-10, though only 5 of the Huskies’ shots were on goal.

Four Huskies — Tatum Thomason, Ioanna Papatheodorou, Hailey Still and Kelsey Branson — lead UW in scoring this season with four goals a piece. Thomason, a sophomore midfielder, leads the Huskies in shots at 44 while Papatheodorou, a junior forward, leads in points at 13. 

WSU holds the all-time advantage over UW at 15-11-7. Though falling to the Huskies last year 3-2, the Cougs’ last trip to the Husky Soccer Stadium back in 2021 resulted in a win with the largest margin of victory between the two teams at 4-2. 

Both coming off of draws, the two teams will be looking to round out their season finales with a win during this year’s Apple Cup. A broadcast of the game will be available on Pac-12 Washington.