New year, new Cougs: defense edition

Introducing the future of the Cougar defense
KHOI VU
The Oregon offense and the WSU defense line up during an NCAA college football game, Sep. 24.

As 2024 continues to roll in, WSU has a plethora of new defensive reinforcements from their 2024 high school class. Without further ado, it is time to introduce the fresh new faces set to defend the den now in 2024 and beyond.

Jackson Cowgill – Defensive line, Erie High School, Erie, CO

At 6 feet 4 inches and 280 pounds, Cowgill is projected to fortify the Cougar defensive line as a defensive tackle. As a high school senior, he led his team to a 13-1 record and 4A Colorado State Championship contributing 40 tackles, with 14 for loss and six sacks. He was rated the No. 11 recruit from Colorado by 247sports.com.

He was the first one to commit to us all the way back on [April 13, 2023] and saw this whole thing through. His development is high, he’ll be one of those guys that we’ve done this with a million times, take him from being a high school defensive end, and continue to grow him to be an athletic three-technique,” WSU head coach Jake Dickert said.

Hyrum-Benjamin Moors – Defensive Tackle, Kahuku High School, Kahuku, HI

Moors comes in at six feet and 280 pounds, adding to the great line of Polynesian players at WSU, and was selected to play in the 2024 Polynesian Bowl. As a senior he led his team to a Hawaii State Championship and was rated a three-star prospect and the No. 12 overall from Hawaii by 247sports.com

“One of those plug-and-play guys immediately. He’s been a human wrecking ball on the interior of that defensive line and excited for him to plug and play on the interior of our defensive line,” Dickert said.

Camden DeGraw – Edge, Coeur d’Alene High School, Coeur d’Alene, ID

One of two true edge recruits in the class set to develop in the shoes of Brennan Jackson and Ron Stone Jr., DeGraw comes in with elite size at 6 feet 4 inches and 240 pounds having recorded 35 tackles, seven for loss and two sacks as a senior in high school. He was rated a three-star recruit by 247sports.com and the No. 4 overall from Idaho.

Malachi Wrice – Edge, McAlester High School, McAlester, OK

A great athlete all around, Wrice not only recorded 77 tackles, 19 for loss, four sacks, two forced fumbles and blocked a punt his senior year, but he also competed in track and field and played basketball. The 6-feet 4-inch 220-pound edge was rated the No. 12 prospect from Oklahoma and a three-star recruit by 247sports.com

“Between Camden and Malachi, very much the same mold. Big, long, raw athletes that we’re gonna stash away for a year get them on our nutrition and development plan in the weight room and I think you’re gonna see some pretty special players,” Dickert said. “Just amazing to see Malachi play basketball and how quick and nimble he is on his feet and how far he can grow.”

Frank Cusano – Linebacker, Granite Bay High School, Granite Bay, CA

Cusano enters a linebacker room currently going through a massive overhaul and at 6 feet 2 inches and 215 pounds; he should be able to hold his own with a background in boxing and rugby. As a senior last year, he recorded 92 tackles, 13 for loss and five sacks, being rated the No. 35 inside linebacker prospect in the country by ESPN.com.

“He’s another big physical, long tackling machine from the Bay area,” Dickert said.

Dajon Doss – Linebacker, St. Bonaventure High School, Ventura, CA

A two-way high school star, Doss comes in as a linebacker but totaled 67 catches for 989 yards and 10 touchdowns as a senior. Defensively he recorded 13 tackles and two interceptions playing a safety and linebacker hybrid, and at six feet and 205 pounds, he has the build of a highly versatile weapon and was rated a three-star prospect and the No. 64 overall by ESPN.com.

Doss was also rated a three-star wide receiver recruit by Rivals.com, another sign of his versatility.

“Mainly this year played wide receiver. But we’ve done this a lot, take very high-level athletes, transition them to defensive football players. He played safety at his previous high school. So we’re excited to really grow with DJ and show him the vision of him being a linebacker,” Dickert said.

Jaylon Edmond – Defensive back, Western High School, Fort Lauderdale, FL

From the other corner of the country, Edmond comes in as one of many reinforcements for a Cougar secondary losing almost every starter and multiple backups from a year ago. He was rated a three-star prospect by 247sports.com as a 5-foot, 9-inch 155-pound athlete who will play defensive back for the Cougs.

He also spent most of his early high school career at Bishop Gorman High School in Las Vegas, the same school Coug safety Jaden Hicks came from.

“Another guy that can fit into that athlete category. Corner, nickel cover guy, free safety, wide receiver, returner. I think his skill set is really high,” Dickert said.

Hunter Haines – Safety, West Linn High School, West Linn, OR

The No. 9 recruit from Oregon according to 247sports.com, Haines was named the Oregon 6A regular season and Three Rivers League Defensive Player of the Year, Oregon Prep Redzone Defensive Player of the Year and was an All-State selection. On top of that, he was the First-Team Three Rivers League safety and kick returner. 

As a senior, he recorded eight interceptions, over 60 tackles and 10 pass breakups. On the return side, he also cashed in three kick return touchdowns en route to nine total on the season. The 6-foot, 1-inch 185-pounder was rated a three-star prospect by 247sports.com.

“Just fits us. An old-school, tough-nosed safety. Just an old ball hawk and very physical football player and he means business when he’s out there on the field,” Dickert said.

Kayo Patu – Defensive back, Roosevelt High School, Seattle, WA

Staying home in the Evergreen State, Patu is another two-way athlete by trade. His senior year at Roosevelt he recorded four interceptions while also catching 38 passes for 813 yards and 14 touchdowns. The 6-foot, 175-pound hybrid player was rated the No. 11 prospect in Washington by 247sports.com.

“We’ll see where he ends up, but he can play corner, he can play free safety, he’s a nickel cover guy. Another guy with a lot of versatility,” Dickert said.

Tyson Weaver – Safety, Eastside Catholic High School, Sammamish, WA

Listed as a safety and a three-star prospect by 247sports.com, Weaver earned his rating recording 32 tackles, 6.5 for loss to go with three passes defended, two fumble recoveries and one forced fumble his senior year as a corner. Now the 6-foot, 1-inch, 190-pound defensive back could transition into more of a safety-hybrid role.

“Very much a Jaden Hicks-esque transition. He plays corner for Eastside, he’ll continue to grow and develop into that free safety, strong safety slot for us in his future,” Dickert said.

Kenny Worthy III – Cornerback, Centennial High School, Peoria, AZ

Worthy is the only high school recruit listed as a true corner by 247sports.com, and was named the Mike Haynes Arizona Defensive Back of the Year. As a corner, he recorded 48 tackles, with seven for loss and one sack, six interceptions and two fumble recoveries. The three-star recruit per 247sports.com also ran track and played baseball. 

The 5-foot, 11-inch 175-pound speedy DB was rated the No. 26 recruit from Arizona by ESPN.com.

“He’s a speedster with great length, we love Kenny’s development and the immediate impact he can make on our football team,” Dickert said.

Kamani Jackson – Defensive back, El Cerrito High School, El Cerrito, CA

The last to sign but certainly not the least, Jackson adds even more depth to a deep DB class for the Cougs and brings solid size at six feet and 180 pounds. Jackson recorded three interceptions as a senior and recorded a touchdown run, reception and return on his way to a three-star rating by 247sports.com.

“We’re very familiar with El Cerrito High School. Excited about what he can do in our defensive backfield,” Dickert said.

That does it for the entire high school recruiting class of 2024. As transfers continue to flood in and spring ball rolls around continue to pay close attention in the new year to get to know all the new Cougs.