Dear Cam Ward,

A letter to the (former) WSU QB
Cam+Ward+walking+with+the+captains+to+oversee+the+coin+toss+during+Family+Weekend%2C+Nov.+4%2C+in+Pullman%2C+Wash.+
Cam Ward walking with the captains to oversee the coin toss during Family Weekend, Nov. 4, in Pullman, Wash.

I cannot say that when a transfer quarterback from an FCS school I had never heard of was transferring to WSU, I was super excited or even had any expectations, even with the knowledge that he and the new hire of Eric Morris as offensive coordinator were already well-versed with each other. 

To me, Cam Ward seemed like someone who would be thrown into a QB battle and may win, but it was no guarantee. As the 2022 season was getting closer, I learned more about Ward. I found his since-deactivated TikTok account, better understood his personality, and, in general, had more hope for the season.

After an opening win over Idaho and an upset road victory over a ranked Wisconsin team, I still had no idea what to expect. Ward was good but it still seemed like he had to get used to the Power Five. 

Then the Oregon game happened. Ward had himself an amazing game. From the press box, I saw him throw for 375 yards and his offense had 41 points on the Ducks. But, a screen pass intercepted by the Oregon defense sealed a loss for the Cougs at home. 

At that moment, I felt like I had a realization about the 2022 team. I was already sick of screen passes. It felt like the offense had utilized them too much. Whether from Morris or someone else, it felt like the team had a lack of confidence to go for the jugular. 

The rest of the season, Ward and WSU went 7-5 for the regular season before losing the LA Bowl to Fresno State. Ward himself had 3,231 yards with 23 TDs to nine interceptions. It was a really good season for the player I once had my doubts about. 

In 2023, he had 3,735 yards with 25 TDs and seven interceptions. It was a big improvement for the QB as he also had eight rushing TDs while starting the season 4-0 and had the Cougs ranked No. 13 nationally entering week five.

Even after the team finished 5-7 overall, Ward proved to be a consistent piece of the team. 

Leading the Cougs to a high of a top 15 team and being an early sleeper pick to win the Heisman, Ward had completely and utterly forced me to believe he was magical. I could not stop watching his highlights. He extended plays beautifully, he made his own pocket and his presence was palpable.  

It was a disappointing season overall, especially given the magical start, but Ward made the season’s best plays. 

Although I knew it was a longshot he would return, I still had my hope. When he announced that he would originally enter the transfer portal, I was cool with it. Over two seasons, he had done so much for the team that he deserved the ability to contend. 

Even when he was rumored and linked to Washington, I thought it would bring a lot of really engaging storylines and I would love to see the Cougs and Ward battle it out in Seattle. Personally, I really wanted him to transfer to Ohio State or Florida State as I felt like he could genuinely bring either of those programs over the hump and into the National Championship.

After a long time of speculation, Ward announced his next step.

But instead of transferring to another school, Ward entered the 2024 NFL Draft. 

It was the best news I could have heard. 

If not WSU, the NFL was the best place I would want to watch Ward play. 

The 21-year-old QB had 13,874 total yards and 135 total TDs during his college career. He played at multiple levels and had success at both. He brought a lot of hype and attention to the Cougs over the past two seasons. And finally, he was a hell of a QB.

I’m excited for Ward, I cannot wait to see him hopefully one day starting in the NFL. I hope the best for him and this is something that I think he has done more than enough to earn. 

Thank you for the past two seasons. Thank you for upsetting Wisconsin in back-to-back seasons. Thank you for beating Oregon State in the Pac-2 Championship. Thank you for dominating Coach Prime and Colorado in a beautiful senior night send-off. Thank you for nearly pulling off the upset in the 2023 Apple Cup on the road. Thank you for giving me hope for the Cougs.

Cam Ward, you made a fan out of me.

Sincerely, 

Brandon Willman

View Comments (2)