Cam Ward changes mind; heads back to college ball

Former Cougar Quarterback goes from Shrine Bowl to Hard Rock Stadium
Cam+Ward+steps+up+in+the+pocket+to+make+a+throw+toward+midfield%2C+Nov.+25%2C+in+Seattle%2C+Wash.+
Cam Ward steps up in the pocket to make a throw toward midfield, Nov. 25, in Seattle, Wash.

Since the start of this year Cameron Ward has been making his case for the pros, committing to the East-West Shrine Bowl and declaring for the NFL Draft. On January 13, Ward rescinded that decision, switching gears and announcing his commitment to University of Miami (FL).

Ward used a strong 2023 season where he threw for 3,735 yards and 25 touchdowns while completing 66.6% of his passes to build his stock before entering the transfer portal while mulling whether he would transfer or declare for the NFL draft. Now Ward will play in 2024 under former Oregon head coach Mario Cristobal.

He joins a Miami class currently rated sixth overall by 247sports.com with the No. 4 composite rank and No. 33 transfer class for 2024. He is one of two quarterbacks joining the Hurricanes as transfers in 2024 along with former UAlbany star Reese Poffenbarger, who eliminated the University of Idaho from the FCS playoffs in the Kibby Dome in 2023.

The move for Miami comes after losing 2023 starter Tyler Van Dyke, who made his way to University of Wisconsin through the portal in December 2023. The Hurricanes are coming off of a tough 2023 season finishing 7-6 on the season and just 3-4 in the ACC. 

Their season was ended in the 2023 Bad Boy Mowers Pinstripe Bowl, falling 31-24 against Rutgers.

Miami has added eight transfers in the cycle so far while losing 13 to the portal, bringing in a 27-man class of high schoolers. The No. 6 ranked class comes a year after Cristobal secured the No. 8 overall class in 2023. He also currently has the No. 20 ranked class in 2025.

Ward now has a chance to raise his draft stock behind another year of collegiate ball behind one of the nation’s top recruiting and transfer classes and coaches. Similarly, UM has now secured another option to captain the offense in 2024 as they fight to rebound and become ACC contenders.

Ward had already made his intentions clear once he entered the transfer portal but now instead of rooting for him in the NFL, Coug fans can watch him play on Saturdays once again in 2024.