Theta Chi fraternity no longer recognized by WSU

Loss of recognition comes after fraternity fails to meet Wednesday’s deadline for relationship alignment
BENJAMIN MICHAELIS | THE DAILY EVERGREEN
Theta Chi loss of recognition means they can no longer participate in Greek life activities

As of 5 p.m. Wednesday, Theta Chi is no longer recognized by the university as an official fraternity.

By losing this recognition, Theta Chi can no longer participate in Greek life activities. The fraternity failed to meet Wednesday’s deadline to file a relationship alignment, according to KREM.

This news follows an investigation into hazing, which allegedly led to the suicide of Luke Tyler in January 2023, according to KREM. Shortly after his death, WSU suspended all chapter activities due to the pending charges against Theta Chi, including hazing, underage drinking and reckless endangerment.

Theta Chi can reapply for recognition after the suspension and pending charges are resolved, but there is no guarantee the request will be granted. Pullman PD is continuing to investigate whether crimes related to hazing and underage drinking occurred.

“Theta Chi Fraternity is aware of the loss of recognition of the Alpha Omicron Chapter,” Theta Chi International headquarters said in a statement. “Fraternity representatives are in contact with Washington State University administrators and are evaluating appropriate next steps.”