USC player under investigation for allegedly shoving WSU fan

JACOB MOORE, Evergreen sports editor

USC football player Liam Jimmons is under investigation by WSU Police for assault after allegedly shoving a fan to the ground as the Trojans exited Friday night’s game at Martin Stadium. Assistant Police Chief Steve Hansen told the Evergreen that his staff has talked to the victim, looked at video and reached out to USC.

The Spokesman-Review reported that Trojans Head Coach Clay Helton said in a teleconference Tuesday, without referring to the redshirt freshman defensive lineman by name, that the athlete under investigation has been disciplined by the team.

“We’re aware of the situation and discipline has been taken, and discipline will remain in-house,” Helton said.

A Trojan athlete, later identified as Jimmons, was shown trotting off the field shortly after the game ended in a Facebook video taken from the CrimZone section by Cody Moran. The player was seen shoving a fan to the ground seconds after the completion of the football game, when Cougar fans began to jump the rails and sprint toward the center of the turf to celebrate their team’s win.

Courtesy Cody Moran

Cougar football snapped USC’s 13-game winning streak Friday night. It was also the first time WSU won at home against the Trojans since 2002, prompting the second field storming at Martin Stadium in four games.

Two students were injured in the field rush following Friday night’s football game. Pullman Fire Chief Mike Heston said one student broke their ankle and another student hurt their leg.

WSU was slapped with a $25,000 penalty by the Pac-12 Conference on Monday. Presidents and chancellors of schools in the Pac-12 approved sanctions in 2016 to enhance post-game safety. California Athletic Director Mike Williams was one of the advocates for this new policy.

“The Pac-12 Council considered this policy and its impact on our fans who loyally support our teams,” Williams said. “This enhanced policy underscores the importance our universities place on the safety and welfare of our student-athletes, officials and fans.”

As part of the ongoing investigation, Hansen asks that any videos that show the incident be sent to Patrol Sergeant Bryan Jacobson.

“I’m hoping to have most of it wrapped up by early next week,” Hansen said of the investigation.

JACOB MOORE, Former Evergreen sports editor

Jacob Moore is a junior sport management major from Tacoma. He graduated in December 2016.