Seahawks trade for Sam Howell

Seahawks opt to move down in the draft to secure new backup QB
Washington Commanders quarterback, Sam Howell, scrambles during a game against the Arizona Cardinals at FedEx Field on September 10, 2023. Courtesy of flickr user dbking via Wikimedia

Seattle radio was abuzz March 14, when news broke that the Seattle Seahawks were sending two draft picks to the Washington Commanders in exchange for Quarterback Sam Howell. The Seahawks gave a third-round pick and fifth-round pick to the Commanders, who gave the Seahawks a fourth-round and sixth-round pick in return, plus Howell.

The Seahawks did need a new backup QB after losing Drew Lock in free agency to the New York Giants. However, most fans probably expected (and hoped) that the Seahawks would be turning to the draft to find their new QB. Trading for Howell all but guarantees that the Seahawks will not be drafting a quarterback in 2024, and it indicates that they will probably trade their first-round pick to acquire more draft capital in days two & three. 

Many fans took to social media calling for Sam Howell to start over Geno Smith. The Seahawks’ failure to make the playoffs last year has left a large portion of the fanbase dissatisfied with Smith, and thus, they have set their sights on Howell. Let’s take a look at how Smith and Howell compared in some key statistical categories to see how wide the gap is between the Seahawks’ two passers. 

Last season, Howell started all 17 games for the Commanders as a 23-year-old, while Smith started 15 games for the Seahawks. Smith put together a completion percentage of 64.7% (18th in the NFL), while Howell completed his throws at a 63.4% clip (24th). Smith averaged 7.3 YPA (13th), compared to Howell’s 6.4 YPA (27th). Smith threw 20 touchdown passes, to 9 interceptions, good for a 2.2:1 ratio. Howell threw 21 TDs, but also led the NFL with 21 interceptions, giving him exactly a 1:1 ratio.

The rate stats also favored Smith last year. He had a 59.5 QBR (14th), and a 92.1 Passer Rating (17th). Howell, meanwhile, had a 42.4 QBR (24th), and a 78.9 Passer rating (31st). Not to mention, Smith also has a better record, going 8-7, as compared to Howell, whose Commanders finished 4-13, last place in the NFC East. 

Howell, to his credit, did lead Smith in total yards, as he compiled 263 rushing yards and 3,946 passing yards for a total of 4,209 yards. Smith totaled 155 rushing yards and 3,624 passing yards. Overall, Howell was slightly worse than Smith in most categories, though neither was particularly impressive.

Howell also played for a worse overall team, given that the Commanders were extremely weak across the board last season. And given that he is far younger than Geno, perhaps he will have a chance down the road to be the Seahawks’ next starting QB. 

It is understandable that fans want change, after the disappointing finish to last season. However, the stats indicate Geno Smith is still the best quarterback on the roster, and he should be the Opening Day starter next year. Howell has room to grow, but so far in his two NFL seasons, as well as in his college seasons, he has not demonstrated anything truly ‘special’ about his game.

Howell could eventually become a Kirk Cousins-type QB, someone who can put up good stats, make the playoffs here and there, and maybe even win a few playoff games. But without any of those ‘special’ qualities, the intangibles that make the stars truly great, Howell probably will not be taking the Seahawks back to the Super Bowl.

In that case, was it worth it to trade out of the third round of the draft for a backup, whose best ceiling is to become a good-not-great starter? Most fans would say yes, and I would probably agree, but this was by no means a fleece or a perfect trade. The Seahawks now have a project QB to back up Smith, and he has experience if Smith gets injured. Hopefully, Howell will be able to find a home in Seattle and help the Seahawks improve in 2024 and beyond.