Cougars add a graduate transfer quarterback

DYLAN GREENE, Evergreen sports editor

East Carolina University graduate transfer quarterback Gardner Minshew announced on Twitter on Tuesday that he will be joining the Cougars, adding experience to a position on the WSU team that is mired with young players.

Minshew picked WSU over University of Alabama almost a month after rumors surfaced that he intended to join the Crimson Tide, according to The Spokesman-Review.

Prior to adding Minshew, not a single quarterback on the Cougars roster had taken a snap at the Division I level.

Minshew will visit WSU on April 6 and make the move to Pullman on May 7, according to Sports Illustrated’s Bruce Feldman. This means Minshew will not take part in the Cougars spring camp that begins Thursday and he won’t start practicing with the team until fall camp in August, according to the Spokesman.

Minshew played in 10 games for East Carolina last season, throwing for 2,140 yards, 16 touchdowns and seven interceptions. Minshew opened up his recruitment in January when he withdrew from ECU citing personal reasons, according to the Spokesman.

WSU currently has five other quarterbacks on its roster; freshman Cammon Cooper, redshirt junior Trey Tinsley, redshirt freshman Connor Neville, redshirt junior Anthony Gordon and redshirt freshman John Bledsoe.

DYLAN GREENE, Evergreen Editor-in-Chief

Dylan Greene is a journalism and media production major from Stanwood. He started as the football beat reporter in the fall of 2017 and midway through that semester he was promoted to Assistant Sports Editor. He served as the Sports Editor for the 2018 spring semester and became Editor-in-Chief in May of this year.