Flynn is leaving WSU

EZEKIEL NELSON | DAILY EVERGREEN FILE

Sophomore guard Malachi Flynn moves past Oregon State freshman forward Alfred Hollins as he advances towards the net during the game against Oregon State on March 3 at Beasley Coliseum.

DYLAN GREENE, Evergreen deputy sports editor

WSU sophomore guard Malachi Flynn announced on Twitter on Tuesday that he will be transferring.

“With thoughtful consideration, I have decided that I will be transferring from Washington State University,” Flynn said. “I want to thank Coach Kent and the entire coaching staff for providing me with an opportunity to further my education and to play college basketball. I also want to thank my teammates, professors and fellow students for all of your support during these past two years.”

Flynn averaged 15.8 points per game for the Cougars this season and made 41.3 percent of his shot attempts this past season.

The announcement comes a day after junior forward Robert Franks declared for the 2018 NBA Draft, but did not sign with an agent in order to maintain his NCAA eligibility.

“And to Coug fans everywhere, I thank you very much for your overall support as well,” Flynn said. “This was not an easy decision for me, but one that I feel is in my best interest.”