Former College Republican president sparks on-campus protest

OLIVER MCKENNA | THE DAILY EVERGREEN

James Allsup, former president of the College Republicans, speaks out against DACA Wednesday afternoon on the Glenn Terrell Mall.

REBECCA WHITE, Evergreen assistant news editor

James Allsup, former WSU College Republican president, sparked protests on campus when he appeared at a College Republican tabling event.

Allsup stepped down as president of the WSU chapter of College Republicans and from his state position last year after he participated in the “Unite the Right” white supremacist rally in Charlottesville, Virginia. Allsup is no longer a student at WSU aand can no longer be in the club and was there representing the group Identity Evropa.

The Southern Poverty Law Center characterizes the group as the “forefront of the racist ‘alt-right’s’ effort to recruit white, college-aged men and transform them into the fashionable new face of white nationalism,” and that they aim to intellectualize white supremacy.

Allsup, while surrounded by a group of supporters and counter protesters, said he was initially on campus demonstrate against migrant caravans at the U.S.-Mexico border.

WSU College Republican President Amir Rezamand said the demonstration against caravans on the border was a public event and that Allsup or any other demonstrator was not invited to the event. He added that College Republicans were not in any way affiliated with Identity Evropa. He said he personally disagrees with their ideology.

Counter-protester and WSU student Kamilah Kent said that Allsup actions made minority students, especially Deferred Action for Childhood Arival recipients, on campus feel unsafe.

“You think you can intimidate people of color on campus?” Kent said. “We have our signs, that’s not going to happen.”

She added that Allsup’s complaints against black students who protested against him with posters like “caucasity,” which means something so audacious only a white person would do it, was coming from a place of privilege and historical amnesia.

“We don’t have the privilege to forget about those things,” Kent said, “because they still affect us to this day.”

Allsup wouldn’t confirm if he and Identity Evropa would be partnering for campus events with the College Republicans in the future.

This story has been updated from its original version to reflect that the College Republicans did not invite James Allsup to demonstrate with them and to include comments from WSU College Republican President Amir Rezamond.