Prepare for this season, Cougs: winter is coming

Pullman can get notoriously freezing; avoid frostbite with these easy tricks

Bundle+up%2C+Cougs.+Winter+is+almost+here.+

ALYSSA STANFIELD | EVERGREEN PHOTO ILLUSTRATION

Bundle up, Cougs. Winter is almost here.

SAM SCHMITKE, Evergreen reporter

Seeing the snow fall on the field during Apple Cup means the cold is here to stay. Preparing for the change in weather can be hard, so how should you prepare?

According to the WSU website, 22% of WSU students are out-of-state and international students, meaning some of us aren’t ready for the Eastern Washington weather.

Freshman elementary education major, Catrina Mckittrick from San Diego, California mentioned that her home weather is typically sunny and 75 degrees with the winter being in the 60s.

Freshman elementary education major Mariah Ligons from Austin, Texas explained that the weather in her home is hot, humid and 90 degrees all the time. Mckittrick and Ligons both said that their image of Washington winter was that of wind and snow.

Eastern Washington weather can get down to 22 degrees Fahrenheit during the months of December and January, according to U.S. Climate Data. According to this website, the winds can get up to 4.5 meters per second.

The best way to prepare for each day is by checking your phone. It may look like a beautiful, warm day but actually be freezing outside.

With pipelines that heat the sidewalks, even the snow can’t stop you from going to school. But there is usually ice on those sidewalks, especially on the hills.

A helpful tip is to find some winter boots. Making sure that those boots are warm and have a good grip will help put your best foot forward.

“When I came to WSU, I brought nothing for the cold weather,” Ligons said. “I had to ask my mom to ship me my warm jackets and boots.”

You can also wear fuzzy socks and use toe-warmers to retain their heat. According to an article on Live Science, you lose 10 percent of your body heat through your head. You also lose heat through your toes, so it is important that you keep your little piggies in a blanket of warmth.

As for that head of yours, a hat or earmuffs are always useful. Hats help protect the head and even your ears when hiding from the cold.

Covering your face itself is also important. According to an article in Daily News, when the weather gets colder and the wind gets stronger, it pushes the moisture out of your skin, leaving it dry and cracked.

To protect your face as the winds get stronger, you can use a face mask. You can also use lotion on your face to keep it from drying too much from this cold weather. If you don’t have a face mask to keep your face protected in the wind, you can use your scarf instead.

Your lips are the most susceptible to the cold than the rest of your face, due to a softer form of skin. Make sure that you also use petroleum jelly or lip balm for your lips.

The main component for the cold is your jacket! I prefer to use a down jacket, made out of goose and duck feathers. The fluffiness of the jacket creates tiny air pockets that retain heat. When you are cold, the down jacket helps keep you warm on the inside.

According to eMedicineHealth, frostbite begins with red, numb hands. Gloves are a helpful way to protect our hands from this issue.

Pullman has an average snowfall of 25-35 inches during December and January, according to the Climate of Washington website. So get ready for snowman making, snowball fights and sledding down Thompson Flats, as winter is coming.