NCAA approves Gubrud’s medical redshirt

Former EWU quarterback will enroll in graduate classes next week, participate in spring practice

NCAA approves Gubrud’s medical redshirt

Eastern Washington redshirt senior quarterback Gage Gubrud looks for an open receiver downfield during a game between WSU and EWU on Sept. 15 at Martin Stadium.

DYLAN GREENE, Evergreen deputy sports editor

The competition to replace Gardner Minshew II got more interesting Saturday as Eastern Washington quarterback Gage Gubrud finally transferred to WSU.

Gubrud will enroll in graduate courses on Feb. 18 and participate in the Cougars’ spring practice after earning a bachelor’s degree from EWU last fall.

Rumors about Gubrud coming to the Cougars started in early January when he entered his name into the NCAA’s transfer portal. He narrowed his list of schools to WSU and Utah on Jan. 21 and about a week later Gubrud chose the Cougars.

The only thing Gubrud needed in order to transfer to WSU was the NCAA to grant him a medical redshirt and a sixth year of eligibility. Unfortunately, Gubrud learned last Monday that the NCAA denied his request.

Gubrud appealed this decision, and Saturday, he found out that the NCAA had granted him a medical redshirt and sixth year of eligibility.

In order to receive a medical redshirt, an athlete has to play in one-third or fewer of their team’s games in a given season.

Gubrud suffered a season-ending toe injury in a game against Montana State on Sept. 29, preventing him from playing in EWU’s final 10 contests this past season after starting the first five.

Gubrud finished his career with the Eagles with 9,984 passing yards and 87 touchdowns. He holds 11 season, seven single-game and three career school records at EWU.

Gubrud joins a crowded quarterback room that features redshirt seniors Trey Tinsley and Anthony Gordon and redshirt freshman Cammon Cooper. These four will battle it out for the Cougars starting quarterback spot over the spring and the summer.

Dylan Greene is a journalism and media production major from Stanwood. He started as the football beat reporter in the fall of 2017 and midway through...